Naim uniti Atom and Denon AVC-X3700H

Has anyone combined these to make a hybrid hifi/home cinema system? Uniti Atom driving the front speakers and Denon driving the centre/rears/subs? First attempt by me failed as using “amp assign” on the denon only let me assign all the preamp ous to external rather than just the front L+R only to feed the naim. Advice/help would be great.

I think you just hook up the pre out signal for the front L and R to the atom input. Don’t change anything else, leave the speaker settings as 5.0 or 5.1 if you have a sub (and for the latter, set all speaker sizes to small).
You don’t use amp assign, that’s for using a second zone, or biamping with unused channels.

Thanks for your reply - Denon say that if I do that the internal power amps will be unterminated for the L+R fronts. The idea is to switch them off so that they can be repurposed if necessary.

You can biamp the fronts with the denon but I don’t think there’s another option to biamp other channels if you are not running the fronts direct from the denon, thereby reassigning those channels. It’s basically all on or preamp mode for all channels. It’s not designed to operate as a processor/3 channel power amp.

Have denon advised you not to leave the L and R fronts disconnected from speakers?

This is the advice that what hifi gave:
Simply plug your front-left and front-right speakers into the terminals on the stereo amp, and all of the other speakers (centre, sub, surrounds and height speakers, if using) into the relevant terminals on the AV amp. Then use standard analogue interconnects to connect the front-left and front-right pre-outs of the AV amp to the AV input of the stereo amp. *Now you need to calibrate the speakers using the AV amp’s built-in, mic-driven set-up. In most cases, you’ll need to tell the AV amp the speaker configuration you’re using, whether that’s 5.1 or 7.1, or even 7.1.4 (for Dolby Atmos), but with many amps you won’t need to specify that you’re using the pre-outs at all. On some AV receivers, particularly higher-end ones, you’ll find an option called something like “amp assign”. Use this to tell the AV amp that you’re using an external amp to power the front two speakers. Consult the manual if you’re not sure. AV amplifiers with pre-outs that can be used to connect a stereo amp:
Denon[AVC-X3700H]
Stereo amps with inputs that bypass volume control:
Naim All current (and many recent) pre-amps and integrated amps

That just confirms my first reply, connect the L and R preouts to the atom. The denon L and R speaker sockets will be unused, and it’s not possible to reconfigure these channels in the denon to anything else.

Not sure the atom can handle what’s called av bypass, so you will need to adjust the atom volume and the denon volume separately. I would set the atom half way and always half way when using the denon, then the calibration in the denon should always be correct.

Thanks for your suggestions

Look for “unity gain” setting in the Naim app for the atom. That should give you power amp mode by defeating the atom preamp for that input.

That makes more sense - does that mean I can alter the volume of the whole cinema setup by adjusting the Denon’s volume only. When listening to CD’s I can select my naim uniti core direct from the uniti atom connected via spdif and thus have the benefits of both systems without fiddling about with different settings for the two volume controls

Yes it should. On the Naim integrateds and preamps you have a physical switch on the back which works on a single input marked av. Unity gain on the atom/star/nova should work the same way, but it’s on/off in software.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.