Naim Uniti Atom HDMI limited to 48kHz

Hello,

Regarding an installation based on a

- Naim Uniti Atom HDMI

• Focal B8v
  • Subwoofer BW ASW 610

- LG OLED TV 55 model B8

• HDMI (#1) linked to my Gamer PC (RTX Graphic Card connected via HDMI)
  • HDMI ARC (#2) linked to my Naim device

I would like to know what are the performances of the HDMI (ARC) input.

Today, the display shows me ‘48kHz’ when the input HDMI is selected.
From the Qobuz / Tidal Windows Application, the Naim’s display does not show album covers - only the input name and the sampling frequency: 48kHz

Notes:
I already reviewed all audio settings/possibilities/capabilities of my OLED TV
I already tested two different types of HDMI cables (High Speed / Ethernet)
For Qobuz, today, I use stream capabilities to have the best sound quality and see the album covers

Expected: 192kHz 24-bit (already set in the Windows preferences for this “controller” - I set all audio controllers to meet it)

Other Questions

• Is it a limitation imposed by my television / HDCP or the Naim Device?
    (Why this question? see the Sony’s article https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/support/articles/00206001 )

• Do I have to use a specific HDMI cable? (If so, which one do you recommend)

• Should I use a HDFury Arcana to solve potential HDMI limitations?
    https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

• In other words: how to get the most audio performance from my PC with this Naim device? Not especially for HIFI listening but to enjoy the best quality in Games / Cinema mode from TV or PC

I know, I can also connect the television and/or the PC in optics (TOSLINK, SPIDF)…
I will test both in the next weeks to compare results with the HDMI input

Using an audiophile external USB DAC seems overkill to me.

Thanks in advance for your support!
Francis

I have the exact same problem. HDMI keeps saying 48,0kHz.
I have an LG 55 C8 though.

In all the new uniti Product line…
Does anyone use the HDMI input? ( andredewaard and me, ok … :smiley: )

I just ordered optical cables and a coaxial (digital) as well as a small USB DAC which allows to make the PC-USB link to an optical / coaxial output.

The small DAC - Topping D10s - does not cost anything and will act as an external sound card for my next tests - objective: also to enjoy my Naim from my applications and games on PC.

Waiting for delivery for my tests therefore.

1. Test the TV-Naim optical connection
  2. Test the PC-usb-DAC-Naim optical connection
  3. Test the PC-usb-DAC-Naim coaxial connection

Compare with the current solution: PC-hdmi-TV-hdmi arc-Naim

Hope
No longer see a sample rate limited to 48kHz when using the Naim from my Windows apps.

For Netflix / Amazon Prime / Disney+
I will probably use the TV-Naim optical connection rather than HDMI.
I’m still awaiting comments from Naim regarding the HDMI ARC limitations.

Are you using content that is actually higher than 48kHz? Not just setting the output on Windows, but actually feeding it higher sampling rate content.

Most games don’t go higher than that, and not everything on Qobuz is higher either. Netflix doesn’t go higher than that either.

In an email I had from some of the Naim tech support people a few days back, they mentioned that they reckoned HDMI ARC was generally is limited to 48kHz, hence better to use one of the other digital inputs (you can expect up to 24/192 via s/pdif coax, and maybe even TOSLINK, if you’re lucky) or else stream if possible.

Quick update
As promised, I installed the small Topping device (Topping D10s) between my PC and the Naim Uniti Atom to transfer the USB data to the coaxial and optical inputs of the Naim.

With the Windows driver I can set the following parameters

• 24-bit 96 kHz when using optical input
  • 32-bit 192 kHz for coaxial

From the Windows Qobuz application, I configured the Topping via the ASIO driver. And so, when I switch from one recording to another, I can see the correct frequency sampling on all devices (my main screen, from the Qobuz app but also on the Topping and the Naim)

Now I need some time to compare the entries.

Regarding the OLED TV, the optical output is limited to 48 kHz like the HDMI ARC.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.