Naim Uniti Atom HE - apparent multiple copies of my CDs

I don’t see a Contributing Artists tag - all I see is-

30 minutes later-
Just looked again at the Album list on the Atom and the above album now appear 3 times - 2 with various under album art, 1 with karajan under the AA

I’m not familiar with MP3 tag so may be barking up the wrong tree. Nor am I familiar with the Uniti server mode. Clearly it’s picking up tags that make it think there is another album. Maybe you could open the album in dbpoweramp and you’ll see all the tags in a vertical list. With dbpoweramp you probably don’t need MP3 tag at all.

1 Like

Thanks @HungryHalibut I appreciate your help.
I checked the tags in dbpoweramp and you were right!
There is no Contributing Artist field I could find anywhere, but the Tags view did show that the Artist field had the Track Name in it (!?) so every track had a different ‘artist’. I deleted all the track names from the Artist field and it now appears as a single album. As to why the Artist field had the Track Name in it I’ve no idea.
I wish it was as easy as Win Media Player which works so well without the need for so much editing.

Is there a way that I can change the tags of the files that I’ve already converted to flac so I can fix the other albums that seem to be affected?
Thanks

UPDATE - Spoke too soon! just looked again and once more there are 2 copies of the above album.
One with Karajan underneath (that no longer exists on the SSD) and one with Various Artists underneath.
Surely there a cache of something somewhere that is not being deleted/updated?

If it’s similar to the ndx2, there’s a “rebuild music database” option within other settings in the app.

1 Like

Thanks @robert_h I always clear image cache and rebuild music database after plugging in the SSD then wait a while. It all seems fine at first, but within an hour duplicates start to appear.
I’m afraid I don’t know what a ndx2 is, so don’t know if it’s similar

Ndx2 is a streamer with server mode.
This “within an hour” bit is intriguing, it suggests that as part of the database rebuild, the same audio files are “found” again and added under a different album/artist combination.

1 Like

Thanks - Yes I agree - but why?
I’m using a 1TB SSD plugged into the back of the Atom

It’s just flac files plus the dbpoweramp log files on the ssd?
There isn’t a symlink aka symbolic link anywhere?

1 Like

I had a problem a few years ago - turned out to be reading files from ‘Recycle Bin’ ?
Just a thought

1 Like

The app is simply a dumb recipient that shows what it’s being fed from the server, so there is clearly still something wrong in the metadata. When an album is scanned before ripping, the metadata shows up at the top of the dbpoweramp screen. That is when to check it, before ripping. I’d forget Mp3tag and get fully conversant with the dbpoweramp metadata editor. The two literally go together. As said above, check that the recycle bin is empty. Incidentally, I don’t know why a log file is being created. I’ve never seen one and have ripped hundreds of CDs with dbpoweramp. You certainly don’t need it, so turn off whatever is saving it, and delete it before copying to the SSD. It’s really a case of going through the metadata carefully and working out what you are doing wrong before you rip any more.

As I said I don’t use the Naim server or an SSD, but many people do and I’ve not seen this kind of thing reported. So it’s got to be metadata errors.

Going forward, if you are going to repeatedly rip albums and add them to the library, it’s well worth considering a NAS with Asset upnp. I can rip a CD, check metadata and copy it to the NAS and within seconds it’s ready to play. No need to move SSDs, reformat, copy, rebuild database etc etc.

1 Like

Thanks all one again.
@robert_h and @Ian I tried again and this time I formatted the SSD before copying all the files over.
I plugged the SSD into the Atom and cleared Image Cache and Reset the database.
Over an hour later I now see there is only 1 file that is duplicated - that being the album above. The other 422 albums now only appear once, so I suspect it was seeing stuff in the recycle bin or elsewhere.
Reformatting the SSD before copying files ‘seems’ to have corrected the problem - at the moment at least.
I’ve decided the easiest route is just to have 2 copies of this 1 album on the SSD.
The only files I can see on the SSD are the .flac files and the .log files (which I will now delete).
I can only view contents of the SSD in detail on my PC and not on the Atom afaik and no recycle bin appears (I do have show hidden files ticked). There must be a recycle bin on the SSD - I just have no way of viewing it or emptying it that I’m aware of.

@HungryHalibut thanks for your continued efforts!
I do understand what you are saying.
Hopefully it’s a one-off.
I rarely buy CDs now as I have all I want, so once I’ve got the 1600 ripped it’ll only be 2-3 CDs a year that I’ll need to add.

Now if someone knows why I can’t turn Shuffle off I’d be grateful.
I have created another thread.
I wasn’t expecting it all to be so complex!

1 Like

Not streaming, just normal files, but I have found External HDD’s can get in a tizzy, if you delete things from them (which go to the Windows Recycle Bin), then remove the Drive.

Now if I delete from an External Drive, I make sure I clear the Windows Recycle Bin before removing them.

Simples… :hamster:

2 Likes

Apologies if you already know this, but I had similar problems with some albums editing with MP3Tag, showing up erroneously, Albums twice, tracks in wrong place etc., I use Album Artist\Album as a folder structure and everything is ripped this way, metadata automatically retrieved, what I found was in some cases the “Extended Tags” in MP3Tag had some data in that caused these.
In MP3Tag under “View” when the tracks are highlighted for editing “Extended Tags” becomes available< i now check every album ripped.
Again apologies if you already knew about the “Extended Tags” option.
Richard

1 Like

Cheers @IanRobertM Yes that’s what I wondered.
That’s why I reformat each time before copying. It only takes about 10 mins now copying all the files but it’ll be around 500GB by the time I’m done, which will take a while.
I can see a recycle bin on the SSD but only if I look via the Atom using the USB option, but I don’t know how to empty it.
With the SSD plugged into my PC I don’t see the recycle bin on it, so can’t empty it.
That said, I can’t think that there would be anything in the recycle bin.
I’ve never deleted anything from the SSD just either copied new stuff over or reformat and copy anew

Thanks too @Richard.Miller - I didn’t know that so thanks very much!
I’d always rather learn something twice than not at all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.