Naim Uniti Core NAS backup

I understand that there is a known issue with the Core doing a full backup everyone rather an incremental backup, as per

I have spoken to Naim tech support and I understand this issue only applies to NAS drives, and not to USB backups.

My question, is does anyone know how to stop the Core from making regular backups once you’ve asked it to start? I’m concerned it’s going to reduce the life of my NAS making full backups everyday. I have tried changing the backup frequency to monthly but it still wants to do a daily backup…

I have emailed Naim about joining the beta testing group

Many thanks all

Mike

Mike

One way to stop the present backup would be to do a factory reset of the Core. That would remove all your data and you would need to tell it again what music store to use, but that takes seconds. The backup routine would vanish.

Do you know how to do a Core factory reset?

Best

David

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. No I don’t know how to do a reset but I’m sure it’s on the Naim website or in the user guide

Would this also remove all the ripped files from my core? In which case I would need to restore from backup also?

Mike

Mike

No it doesn’t touch anything on your internal hard disc/SSD.

If you just use your NAS for backups, you could also delete the reference to it as a share. That would mean the backup would fail every time. Then you could reinstate the share once a month or something and the backup will run successfully once a month. Hopefully Naim will fix it soon. But if that doesn’t work for some reason…

To do a factory reset of the Core, put it into standby by pressing the power button for a few seconds. Then take the power off the Core. Hold in the front panel button and restore the power to the Core. Keep holding the button in until the light next to the front panel USB socket flashes. Then release the button. The Core will finish restarting and should now be visible in the app. You will need to go into setup to redefine the music store (the internal HDD where it stores it’s own rips) and the share which is the NAS. I haven’t done this myself for ages, but the Core should give you a message in the app saying something like “existing music store found. Do you want to make this one active?” You say yes of course. If you don’t get that, you can just define the store but don’t accept to format it of course, or you will have to restore from your backup.

The Core will reindex your music files, which takes ages, you can see the progress by going to Albums in the Core Home Screen, scrolling all the way to the bottom, which won’t take long initially (!) and see the total number of albums indexed. It will slowly count up in tens or so.

Good luck.

Best

David

2 Likes

David - Many thanks for a detailed explanation. I will follow these steps later and update on progress

Mike

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easier to just turn off the NAS? (Obviously not if you use it for other purposes too.)

I do use it for other purposes

Thanks David, factory reset done, it automatically recognised the internal SATA HDD and is currently building the catalogue.

Hopefully it won’t start a backup at 3am tomorrow…

Many thanks

Mike

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.