Naim Uniti Nova - worth it?

Right. Just curious about ND5XS 2. No worries. Enjoy!

Very nice. I’d be interested in how you think the RP6 compares with digital streaming through the Nova as well.

I’m one month into Nova ownership and I love it. I had an Atom before which I never really got on with (as to why I never really worked out). Others have mentioned it improves with time and I have seen a big improvement in 1 month and it seems more settled and consistent. I’ve not read a bad review and my experience echos that. Go for it but don’t be afraid to haggle.

1 Like

I had an identical experience, never really gelled with the Atom although its much easier on the eye then the Nova, it always seemed a bit inconsistent or something, like you I couldn’t quite figure it out but the Nova seems more sorted but did need some running in before it settled, mind you I went through two prior to my current one which has been perfect

How long was your run-in?

Probably a few hundred hours, used to leave it with the radio on all day whilst at work, from memory the bass improved over time

At first I plugged my hair out, how stupid could I be to trade my XS series in for the Nova. It sounded Horrible. But after six weeks all of a sudden the sq turned around. to what it is now. astonishing. Much better then the XS. Although the bas is a little more mudled then the XS IMHO.

1 Like

Are you using naca5? This tightened the bass up on my nova

1 Like

Yes…2x .3.5 metres om Harbeth 30.1 speakers.

1 Like

I’ve had my Nova for well over a year now and still love it. I used to have a multi box olive system but I wouldn’t go back. It does everything I want and Roon is the icing on the cake.

2 Likes

The Naim Nova was also a step up from my previous 202/HC/200, a clear improvement on SQ. Really easy to install and to use and now all the family can use it.

2 Likes

I’ve a Nova with Dynaudio Special 40 speakers. Ripped all my CDs to a Zen mini. Very happy with both the sound and one box solution.

1 Like

Haven’t had a chance to listen to vinyl much yet, just got nova setup last night and went through all different items connected. To make sure everything was hooked up properly, then I played mostly tidal while I cleaned up my old gear and packed it away. I only have a couple of hours on it so far but I can already say it takes everything the xs2 did well and does it better! Bigger soundstage more detail more natural sounding vocals and faster tighter deeper bass. And the longer it plays the more air there is between instruments. Once I get some time to dedicate to vinyl for a few hours probably tomorrow ill let you know. But nova is definitely worth it forgot to mention I’m using dynaudio x38s for speakers

2 Likes

Yeah, no hurry! Just curious as to what is a sensible level of turntable to use with a Nova to get a similar quality level. Future planning. Although I grew up in the Hifi Answers era when the suggestion to everyone was ‘you need a Linn Sondek’ and they would recommend systems with this and a £50 amp and speakers!

I remember that well, I was completely brainwashed… to this day, only now my LP12 is paired with 552/300DR/Harbeth SHL5+!

2 Likes

So here is my findings so far, the nova is definitely worth it! I have finally got a chance to listen to vinyl for an extended period of time, and the rp6 pairs extremely well with nova.
Sound stage is bigger its more dynamic and there is more air to the sound, its not as forgiving to poor recordings as the xs2 was but it doesn’t make them unlistenable though, but good recordings have you just grinning in your seat as you listen :grin:
Throw in a nice cold beer and you don’t want to stop listening.
Now its still breaking in and it has gone through those periods were the sound seems to go flat every once in a while but it bounces back and becomes magical. From what I’ve read this will go on for a couple months. But the nova is definitely worth it in my opinion!!

4 Likes

Good to hear. Glad it’s been a success and you’re enjoying so much. I’ve been to semi-giddy heights in the past and then I sold it all to live abroad. At the moment I’ve just a Muso. Once I’m properly settled somewhere, a Nova and Rega could well be a ‘final’ compromise system for me.

Would you say the RP6 is a similar quality level to streaming through the Nova? And what cartridge and phono stage are you using?

1 Like

I’m using a ortofon black cartridge and for phono stage an ifi the sound is comparable to streaming some things sound better on vinyl others better on streamer

2 Likes

I found my nova continued to improve over the first 9 months of use. I’d go way for a couple of days and when I returned home there was another improvement. The bass has developed and seems to go lower. The “blackness/ silence” between the notes is impressive. It plays tunes and once you start listening it is hard to stop! A massive improvement on my CDX Nait 3 combo.

1 Like

I’ve been considering the Nova too. Any views on the SQ of the headphone output? I see the OP also has headphones though I’m using HD800.

1 Like