Naim Unitiqute Mk 1 Wont stay on?

Hi all.

Looking for some advice with a Unitiqute problem. I have a MK1 model about 11 years old which I have had since new. It recently developed a problem ie. error code 61 which was a chip communication problem. Having been fixed at the factory and a new display and service it was fine for a few months. It then upon turning on started crashing after 30 seconds, it has now been back to Naim 4 times but the problem still persists. Each time after receiving it home it is ok for a day but then reverts to the reboooting problem.
Has anyone any experience of this kind of problem or can suggest a way forwards?

Thank you

It sounds like the service/repair should still be under warranty. There may be some issue that’s hard to track down or takes some time to manifest. Perhaps @NeilS recognises the issue or can offer some insights here?

Thank you Richard, yes the repair it is still is under warranty but after Naim have kindly tried to cure the problem 4 times I wondered if the wider community could shed any light on this problem… It has been suggested by my dealer that its a problem caused by equipment it is paired to? With this in mind I have removed everything apart from a pair of speakers and an LG tv but to no avail it does also connect to a Vodaphone router. I will take your advice and message @NielS.

Thank you

If your unit is the one I think it is, I believe we couldn’t recreate the issue despite monitoring extensively, including regular power cycling & playing for long periods.
How is the TV connected to the Qute?
Do you connect to the router via Ethernet or wifi?
Does it still do it with the TV & router disconnected?

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Hi Thank you for your reply. The unit is connected to the TV with an optical cable, the connection to the router (vodafone with smb and upnp enabled) is by wifi. yes it still does it with the tv and router disconnected. I have tried Ethernet only but that makes no difference. I have had ring main checked for polarity and voltage too. I have removed a Google TV dongle from the room in case that was causing a problem. This occurs 26-30 seconds after power up so that may be a clue as to what process is happening then? Occasionally the unit will stay on but it has lost any stored information ie network key and stored channels.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards John

Have you tried blocking the infra-red sensor ? It could be spurious light hitting that causing it to “recognise” it as a shutdown request.

Obviously you can’t operate it by remote control so this isn’t a fix, but a diagnostic tool.

I’ve had this previously with a device (not Naim) - turned out to be cause by good old sunlight, so it doesn’t have to be a signal from another device, just something with a high enough “flash” of IR I found that TVs are good at this too, but not as good as the Sun.

I’m not 100%, but I’m not sure that we had the information that it also looses the stored info - that could be key.
I’ll have a chat with my colleague who worked on your unit & report back.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thank you Neil, I will wait to hear from you.

Cheers John

Thank you for your suggestion but I have been able to rule out interference from light sources and also other remote controls.

Regards John

Hi John,

I’ve spoken with my colleague, unfortunately he also cannot recall if we were given the full details.
All I can suggest is to return it again under the repair warranty & we’ll delve deeper, armed with some extra knowledge (fifth time lucky maybe).

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Hi Neil.

That’s good of you, a shame he cannot remember. With this in mind I have been to see my local Naim agent today, this is where the unit has been for the last week to see if they could make any sense of it. It is behaving just the same for them too! They have made a video of the problem to send to you which may help? I have asked for the unit to be sent to you as soon as possible. In conversation we both felt the problem is something to do with connecting to a network by Wi-Fi, this is when the problem seems to occur? If you require any more information please don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards John

1 Like

Hi John,

When you have a minute, could you provide me with some more detail in advance of seeing your unit again please?
I assume that you don’t leave the Qute powered up all the time? What is your normal routine - do you power it up on a daily basis?
When it falls into the power cycling issue, does it just continue doing it indefinitely until you switch it off, or will it do it several times & then successfully start up? Or do you need to leave it for a bit & try again later for a successful boot?
Does it loose the Wi-Fi credentials every time it does this?

Many thanks
Neil.

Hi Neil.

Happy to.

The Qute is switched of when not in use, its used on a daily basis mainly in the evening to provide sound from a TV plugged into optical input 2. Sometimes later we use I radio or UPnP…
When in its cycling mode it never recovers without a power down. Occasionally it will boot up, more often if you catch it and change the input during boot? It has always lost the Wi-Fi info and the time and date… When it is cycling there is a very faint click from a component as it falls over? When it is returned from yourselves it always boots so I’m guessing it has been re programmed at that stage but it never lasts more than a day. I have tried using just a cat 5 cable rather than wireless but it made no difference. The mains has been checked for polarity and voltage. I removed a google tv stick from the environment just to make sure before it was used last time it was returned. The router is Vodaphone’s latest offering. Cant think of anything else at the moment… It has been fine for the best part of ten years. Cheers John

Is it bad to leave the Qute 1 and 2 powered all the time?

Many thanks for the extra information.

Not at all - I just made the assumption from reading between the lines in John’s original post.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Great, thank you Neil :slight_smile:

Hi Neil… I have received a message upon arriving home this evening that my Unitiqute cannot be mended at all? I wondered if you could shed any light upon this, I had always understood that all the Naim products could be serviced/repaired. Regards John

John, not all but certainly most. CD mechs, AV processor boards and early streamer boards can be particularly problematic; certain faults with these can be unrepairable as no replacement parts exist any more.

Thank you for your comments Richard, I shall await Neil’s reply to hopefully have a better understanding of my particular units problem and why it cannot be repaired.

Regards John

Naim said a while ago that their stocks of the Bridgeco streaming boards used in the 1st gen streamers were exhausted. It’s a very old design that has been out of production for some time, so sadly I think there is nothing they can do.