Naim Unitiqute Mk 1 Wont stay on?

The service dept; the true heart of the factory. (Apart from the canteen and being spoiled by Kate).

3 Likes

Excellent job Neil. Yet another instance of going “above and beyond” - bravo!

4 Likes

I’ve read this thread with interest and have to say what absolutely fantastic service from Naim! Kudos to Neil.

Peter

2 Likes

Hi Neil… Sorry for the late reply, I did post immediately you sent the happy news but it looks like it never made it to the forum! Anyway thank you so much for your excellent service and persistence . The gist of the reply was agreeing with all the great comments other people had made and looking forward to may more years of happy listening. Thank you once again. John

2 Likes

Hi Neil… Sad to report that despite your very best efforts the problem reappeared within 24 hours of putting the unit back into the system. It did connect up fine and connect to the wireless network, it was then used on digital input 2 for the rest of the evening and then switched of for overnight. On switching on the following day about 5pm it went straight into the rebooting loop. I suppose this proves its not the pcb but perhaps something else causing a communication problem?.. Do you have any more ideas or course of action.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards John

Update on the troublesome Unitiqute

Having had a call with the service department it was decided to roll the software back to a version that I knew had worked in the past so I rolled back to v4.7 (just as you would with a troublesome PC). The process went well and it rebooted fine, very strangely the display is reversed so the only way to use it and input settings is with a mirror! The good news is the amplifier is working perfectly and booting reliably for over a week now, something it hasn’t done in over a year.
I think the fact that this problem started soon after a replacement display may be a clue? I will leave it to people clever than myself to work that out. Naim are wanting the unit back to pursue this.

I hope this may help anyone with a similar problem and will update in a few weeks.

1 Like

Thanks for updating us. It sounds like a really weird issue to track down. Glad Naim are still keen to fix it too. Sounds like it has someone intrigued :smiley:

Really hope it ends up sorted, I like my UQ1

1 Like

John - I’ve only just seen this & it is devastating news! :scream:
Interesting that rolling back to 4.7 appears to have helped, also odd that the screen is reversed as that data is held in an eeprom & shouldn’t be affected by the streamer updater program.
I look forward to seeing your unit yet again!

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

great service from naim … that’s the legendary support still there in 2022

Hi Neil- Thank you once again for your attention in this matter, its such a puzzle.
If it makes things easier I am quite happy with the 4.7 software it is running now and have no need for anything newer. If the screen could read from left to right that would be great and I can put my shaving mirror away!!!

Thank you again John.

3 Likes

Hi John,

Have you organised the return of your unit? I have a new theory (partially tried & tested) & I’m eager to put it into practice!

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Hi Neil I was very puzzled as I took the unit to my local dealer 3 weeks ago, anyway having phoned them this morning there was apparently a delay because of an unread email! However the unit did leave for you this last Tuesday hopefully it may even be there now? I have asked them to chase it up.
Thank you once again for your persistence with this repair, I am very intrigued to know what your theory is?

Regards John

1 Like

Neil

Just had confirmation from my dealer that the unit has arrived at Naim… 5pm Friday.

Cheers John

1 Like

Sorry John - I don’t want to jinx it, I’ve already ended up with egg on my face! :sweat_smile:
I’ll look out for your unit next week & will keep you posted.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Apologies for the radio silence John - I have a little update for you:
While I was waiting for your Qute to come back in again, another customer’s original Uniti came in exhibiting identical symptoms to your unit. The difference was that this unit was permanently stuck in the boot loop state. This gave me a great opportunity to bottom out the problem.
After getting a little fixated on the similarity being the RS232 port on both machines & going to great lengths to isolate that part of the circuit (without a result), I then began to cross reference circuit diagrams for RS232 & USB versions, ruling out various differences as probable causes.
Then it hit me that there is another obvious commonality - the tuner module! Bingo!
Typically, your unit wasn’t misbehaving when it arrived, but I could see bad entries within the logs. I have replaced the tuner module & left it in a soak cycle for a week, periodically rechecking the logs for problems.
It should be back with you shortly, so I have my fingers crossed all will be well.

BTW - the unit arrived running 4.3 , that version will not understand the screen flip command held in the eeprom, so that explains the screen reversal. It’s back on 4.8 now.

Regards
Neil.

6 Likes

Hi Neil… Don’t worry about the delay, this whole experience has been a master class in patience.
This sounds quite positive following your discoveries regarding the tuner module.
One thing puzzles me that you may shed light on? I put the unit back onto 4.3 to try to solve the boot problem and it did albeit at the expense of a readable display. Was it successful because maybe 4.3 doesn’t recognise the reboot command in the same way it wont recognise the flip screen command?

Thank you once again for your tenacity over this problem. I look forward to being reunited with the unit.

Best regards John

Hi John,

I’m afraid it baffles me too! It has something to do with the code for sure, that and certain tuner modules. The hardware revision of the tuner module has nothing to do with it (I checked).
I’ve contacted our s/w lab for their thoughts, but heard nothing so far. Perhaps they are equally as baffled! :grinning: (More likely busy.)

Regards
Neil.

Hi Neil… I have waited a couple of weeks in order to report back accurately to you… I am very happy to say the “Qute” is behaving itself without any issues having been in daily use over this period. I think the replacement tuner module must have been what was needed.
Thank you so much for your persistence with this repair, it is such a pleasure to have it back again. I am grateful for your tenacity. Naim’s reputation is once again enhanced!

Regards John

3 Likes

Thanks for the update John.
I’m not sure there are any words I can use to convey my relief!
Happy Quting!

Neil.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.