Naim Unity Atom HE + amplifier

That is hardly a hurdle, as long as you can run it safely like around the edge of the floor, (and over doorways) if it has to cross them) Not trying to persuade you, but to me that wouldn’t even be a consideration.

1 Like

@Innocent_Bystander Good to know if I ever decide to go active. No immediate plans to do so, but at least i know.

As @Innocent_Bystander has mentioned, run an extension to a new socket along the to of the skirting board.

Cable clip it or put it in trunking.

If you use an electrician, they are very used to running cable lengths and hiding them.

DG…

Or get a sparky to put a plug on the other side!

For those who suggest I install new outlets, closer to the speakers—That is not an option. The walls are concrete, cinder block, plaster with wire mesh. This would be a major undertaking with considerable plaster work and painting. Not possible at this time. We just survived a kitchen renovation and at age 75 and 77, and we would rather not undergo more work, unless absolutely necessary. Also the electrical panel is on the kitchen which makes it even worse. The floors are also 18 inches of concrete as are the ceilings.

1 Like

My suggestion of a cable meant just loose lying around the floor edge, not installed in any way. In Britain extension cables are available in a variety of lengths, and both black and white, though other colours can be found. You can of course change the plugs and sockets for fancier ones or have something custom made if desired, but not obligatory!

If you check out clearance sections of the bigger chains here in the uk they have ex demo 250s for under £5k with warranty and finance too so everyones a winner

As @Innocent_Bystander mentioned, just run an extension cable round the edge of the room to a trailing socket behind the kit.

You could tidy it up, by putting it in trunking, cable clipping to the skirting, using sticky cable holders, tucking it under the skirting board (sometimes if enough space).

There are so many options available now that fit in with our domestic requirements that don’t need a qualified electrician.

DG…

1 Like

@PeakMan I have seen in another thread, that you have the AE1 active speakers. How close can you put the speaker to the side anad back wall without impacting the soundstage and bass?

The AE1s are in a second system in a pretty small room which has a window along most of one wall, bookshelves and a gas fire on another, a radiator and more shelves on a third and a door and tv on the fourth, so I’m somewhat limited in positioning options!

I’ve ended up with them on the fourth wall, either side of the tv stand. That puts the tweeters about 170cm apart and the rear of the speakers between 43 and 44cm from the rear wall. The tweeter of the left hand speaker is 30 cm from the side wall, but that’s full of irregularly sized books, so fairly acoustically absorbent I’d guess. The right hand speaker is much further from the right wall as there’s a doorway in between. I guess you’d call it a near field setup, but I do get a very stable and precise stereo image which adds to my listening pleasure.

One final point: I’m using the rather nice dedicated stands and tightening their spikes to eliminate any trace of wobble improves the performance significantly. The speakers are definitely sensitive to the support they’re used on.

Hope this helps, but do bear in mind, these are just my experiences.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks for the insights Roger, I really appriciate. I will compare the AE1 and the new PMC Active twenty5.21i speakers on Friday at my local dealer and make the final decisions.

1 Like

Hi just to close this thread I ordered the Atom HE with the new PMC Active twenty21i speakers. Thanks for all the suggestions as you can see I was convinced by the team to consider the active speaker option and jumped on it at the end.

12 Likes

Can you let us know how you get on with the PMC actives - very interested!

5 Likes

Sure will do!

1 Like

I’ll also be interested in how you get on with the PMC’s. I’ve got an Atom HE at the dealers and I’ve been waiting for what seems an eternity to have a demo of the 21i, 22i and 23i. The dealer is hopeful that it will be arranged around the end of the month or early May. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.