Naim watts…again…

Generally, larger speakers are easier to push. I’m more surprised by people using them with inefficient standmounts.

That said, I’m looking forward to trying mine out with NSats.

1 Like

That wouldn’t do the panels of my ESL57s any good!

Only if you wanted them welded together :grin:

They use very heavy duty plastic film, so it’s more likely that they’d melt!

Naim don’t make welding machines, but if they did…

Yes, efficiency of speakers of course makes a huge difference to power requirement, with most hifi speakers around 85-90dB/W - even that range represents three times the power requirement for one speaker compared to another! When I ran a mobile disco, someone coming into the pub came up to me and said he thought it was a band playing (the best compliment I could have had!), and asked what power was I running, 2k? 3k? He didn’t believe me when I said 100W - it was my hifi 50W stereo amp … but the speakers were 105dB/W!

3 Likes

To borrow the slogan from Decware Audio (because it fits here)

If the first watt sucks…

2 Likes

Yes but it doesn’t show the amp capacity, it only shows watts vs ohms (resistance). When used in speakers, it refers to a speaker’s resistance to an amplifier’s. So if your speakers are 8ohms you have a nominal amp power at 45wrms in your example. If you have 4ohms speakers then the power delivered is 70watts. Speakers nowaday are 8ohms in the majority. The interesting numbers, i think for Naim power amp, is continuous power rating vs peak power rating.

I am just posting the numbers from Naim (historically), for @gthack to add to their list.
Nothing more.

Happy will my pathetic CB era 250 with ‘only’ 70 watts.

2 Likes

Yes its true, but still, 25 continuous watts and 125watts peak (if the factor is 5x) is not that much either. So i guess i will have to listen to one. One would need 96-100+db efficient speakers.

Naim Nait 50:
‘’ With a Class AB amplifier inside its chassis, the NAIT 50 delivers 25 WPC (watts per channel) into 8 Ohms. That may seem modest, but a beefy power supply, premium components, and a peak output of 225 watts ensure that this integrated amp punches well above its weight and size.‘’

Thats the secret of that little beast…

2 Likes

CB NAP 110 - 40 W into 8 ohms, 55W into 4 ohms, Transient 150 VA

1 Like

Yes, but I have also heard the Statement with the Solstice replaying Frank Sinatra or Clifford Curzon’s Mozart Piano Concertos, and the ability of the amp to be delicate, informative and musical was a real wonder.

To put all these watts into perspective, if you listen at a moderately loud average sound level of, say, 85 dB at the listening position, and that is, say 4m from the speakers, and the speakers are say a pretty average 88 dB/W sensitivity, the average power being used would be about 4W per channel in a relatively absorbent room… A loud peak at 20dB higher sound level with equal intensity on each channel would require 200W per channel for the transient.

If you only play quietly, say 75dB average, the corresponding figures would be 0.8W per channel average, with transients of 40W per channel on those strong peaks.

But should you play really loud at any time, say 95 dB average (of course unwise fot more than a short time), then you’d be using 40W per channel average, and need 2kW per channel for those very loud peaks not to clip.

These figures of course depend fundamentally on speaker efficiency, and how close to the speakers you listen. Also the room would have an effect - an echoey room would require less power.

12 Likes

Nicely presented!

So that’s cleared everything up then…… :man_shrugging:

The fuse will make an urgent call far below that.

Not so, as it is the reservoir capacitors that provide the peak current, filled up much slower with lower current from the mains.

1 Like

Can you point me to information where it shows capacitors can leave current that translates to 9kW?

Looks like this is a screenshot of the Naim product page about it

It is, grabbed just now: