Naim WAV Metadata

Ok. I have the DTC for windows. I will get the paperwork out and see if I can find the instructions.

I seem to remember it’s a simple right click at the top of the tree and choosing ‘convert to flac’ or something similar. It was 2014 when I converted mine before waving goodbye to the Serve, but whatever it was it was really easy. As it was backing up to a Synology the backup then got replaced with the flac versions automatically.

Thanks HH. I will try that when I am next connected to my network.

You can also use the Browser Interface on any platform to set up the conversion to FLAC.

Unless DBPA has changed recently, like other converters, it cannot incorporate the metadata in a Unitiserve WAV rip into a FLAC file. This has caught out a number of people in the past when they have burnt their bridges by selling their Unitiserve, thinking that they could do the conversion later using other software.

I think Paul was talking about the reverse process - where you have the FLAC with metadata dbpoweramp can convert to a wav.

1 Like

Ah, yes! I would keep them in FLAC though, as you can use your server to transcode to WAV ‘on the fly’ and have the best of both worlds. Asset, Minimserver and others can do this.

Hi, I had exactly the same issue, UnitiServe which I replaced with an Innuos Zenith Mk III.

I created a backup from the UnitiServe to an NAS drive and then used DPowerAmp to batch convert the lot to FLAC. Copied these files to the Innuos auto import folder and, hey presto, done!

Really easy, apart from persuading the UnitiServe to back up…lol hmmmm.

Good luck, and I can highly recommend the Innuos range.

KR, J

Thanks J. I will need to compare the Innuos and the Melco. But first things first, I want to get the Unitiserve to batch convert to flac, so have emailed naim support for instructions. My Unitiserve has done sterling service over the past 7 years but things have moved on.
If I encounter problems I will try dbpoweramp for the batch conversion.

In the absence of a response so far from Naim support, can anyone else suggest how to batch convert my unitiserve WAV files to FLAC?
Thanks.

Did you try what I suggested previously? It worked for me.

I couldn’t see anything to right click. I did look quite hard, but I don’t use DTC very often. Also not sure what you meant by tree.

The albums are arranged under artists and all the artists hang under something else, possibly music or MQ. I did something at that level - pretty sure it was a simple right click - and it converted the whole collection in a couple of days. If I still had my Serve I’d take a look and explain exactly what to do.

An added complication is that there are several tabs - tools, view etc…
I am in a different house to my system at the moment which is an added complication, which means my trials will be only every other day. My cellar got flooded with waste from a collapsed sewer next door. Hopefully it will be mended by next week.

Here it is. You go in via the display format - from memory this is the web interface that you find by typing the IP address of the serve into your computer. I’ve taken a screen shot of the relevant page from the Serve manual - Storage Format is what you need to change. Hopefully you can find it.

1 Like

Using N-Serve for OSX the process is very simple. I don’t use the DTC as I have no Windows computer, so can’t help you there. The alternative that HH suggested is the other method I suggested before, which I presume you have not tried.
Just enter the IP address of the Unitiserve in a browser window. Then go to System > Music Stores > Storage Format and choose FLAC. Thus will convert the whole MQ folder to FLAC in the background, so you can then forget about it, as it will take a while to complete.

1 Like

Many thanks HH and Chris - that should do it. The only potential place for me to muck it up is not knowing what the unitiserve web address is. Hopefully I can find out from the manual or by snooping about on my network.

You’ll find the IP address of your US in the Settings menu on N-Serve on your ipad.

1 Like

If you load an app called Ping on your iPad or iPhone it will tell you the addresses of everything on your network.

What a team. We should get paid for this.

1 Like