Naim Website First to Hear 8.5.2019

You’ve probably hit the nail on the head Simon so maybe a 272-2 with the spec as you have quoted this makes more sense as 272 is the only Naim product in the range with the old streaming tech.

1 Like

I guess I better wait until May 8 to pull the trigger on my latest upgrade–a Mytek Manhattan II to get the full MQA unfold. Unless Naim is going to do something in that arena, now that Tidal is offering Masters with the MQA encode.

BTW: benji–I agree with you. Why can’t we standardize the date format. Choose one and stick with it–for everyone. I never know which is the day and the month, unless the day is 13 or greater.

Naim seem quite happy to produce boxes that require an additional box - 300DR, 252, 282, 555NS come to mind. One of the things that bugs me with Naim gear is that there’s no option to buy without including the PS where an external PS is an upgrade option, and the 272 would be top of the tree in this context.

It seems almost routine on here at least to upgrade a 272 with an XPSDR or a 555DR. I’d love to see a new 272 that carries the new streaming h/ware, an improved pre-amp section and no on-board PS, and would be powered by the current options - XPS, 555.

3 Likes

That is my expectation too. NDX2 streaming/dac, take the transformer out to have more real state inside for separation, 272 type of volume control and the circuitry of a 282 or 252 level. Maybe $8K, powered by xps or 555. So a 2 boxes package that will cost $15K to $20K depending on your choice of power supply.
Waiting for it! Let see.

1 Like

Use the Japanese system
YYY-MM-DD
It’s by far the most logical system as it’s canonical.

1 Like

This is what I wrote yesterday on another thread:

However given the complexity of the 272, I don’t think we’ll see that by May, I don’t think there’s been enough time to optimise it; by 2020… maybe.

2 Likes

The good thing about standards is that there are plenty to choose from.
And I sincerely hope it stays that way too.

Mike

Worked well for the Hubble telescope: some parts designed using the metric units, other parts designed using Imperial units (even if the Americans call it the ‘standard’ system!).
:unamused:

Whatever it is will be over priced I’m sure of that.

7 Likes

…and some parts were out-of-focus and needed complex correction algorithms to see anything :sunglasses:

I agree (almost). I would used YY-MM-DD for 21st century dates, otherwise YYYY-MM–DD. MinimServer interprets (expects?) dates in this format. For dates BCE one can simply prefix a minus sign.

Apologies for the thread diversion.

Roger

Speaking of the Hubble Space Telescope, I actually use the YYYYMMDD convention on my Humble Remote Telescope in the Sierra Nevada Mountains which is about 2500 miles from my home. Its in clear dark skies at altitude and all controlled and scripted over the internet and a local computer on the scope. It works great. I get a nights sleep and can download the data/images in the morning–all while listening to Music on my Naim System—pretty close to Heaven.

5 Likes

Precisely, my comment was sarcastic!

1 Like

Wow !! eerrrrmmm…what’s the thread again ? :thinking:.

1 Like

I predict it will be a new Naim product or products of some kind that are very likely to be expensive to exhorbitantly expensive.

Also that a largish lottery win would increase my chances of being able to afford it.

1 Like

Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can’t

In that case I’ll go for a Statement streamer or 2nd Generation Statement amp. (Unlikely, but happy to have either bought for me.)

2 Likes

I disagree that the Nova/Star look awful - sure, I’d prefer a green Naim logo and the volume control on top is a dust trap, but I think they look very good as standalone products which a 272 replacement would not be.

Whatever your thoughts I’m sorry to say this competitor looks positively cheap and nasty even if might have excellent sound quality:

…so overall I think the Naim design is streets ahead - not sure what it is about that Linn design, but square shape, naff control panel on upper front, odd looking volume control and the ‘go faster’ case vents just don’t inspire me for a product at that price…

3 Likes

It’s not the Japanese system. Japan just happens to follow correct ISO date formatting.

As every country should IMO.

I have it on good authority it is a Naim dishwasher with a separate external PSU. Much quieter than normal dishwashers. Unfortunately, you’ll need to cut a hole in your counter top to control it with the Muso/Uniti wheel.

5 Likes