NAIM with QED Supremus speaker cable

How about Ansuz or HFC speaker cables instead of QED Supremus cable. I heard a demo with SN2 and ansuz speaker cable and it has better clarity over NACA5. But I’m not sure about the specifications and if it is suitable for Naim amps.

Any other brands of cable been tried and enjoyed - that are a fair competitor to NACA5?
Ive found my system is lacking bottom end - which is really distressing - having gone all ‘Audiophile’ on my mains cable and a new 6mm feed to my non switched MK power socket… Might I need a better tome arm cable interconnect?
Might it be a source issue rather than back end issue?

HI - What is ( if any ) the detrimental effect on Naim amps with cables that might be higher in capacitance >? Ive been searching for a decent - but not bank breaking bi-wire (active) cable option and have read pretty positive things about the QEDS Genesis Silver ( Bi wire) …this has a capacitance of 76 pF/m and an inductance of 0.46 µH/m… might one anticipate an audible impact? Thanks for you inout here… M

Its hard to say what impact will be, but a few things make me nervous with what you write in your post
Audible impact - NAP250’s can object to the wrong output inductance loading, & by object I mean shut down. Capacitance is less critical, but see last paragraph
Bi-Wire is really a big no-no for Naim, having a pair of cables on a single amp output doubles capacitance & halves inductance.
If however you want to use the 4 core in place of a pair of 2 cores per side with the 4 cores in 2x 2 pair configuration & each pair fed from separate amps, thats OK.
Your suggested cable has 0.45uH/m therefore to meet the Naim recommended minimum L for NAP250’s of 3.5uH you will need to have 7.78 metres & remember 3.5uH is the minimum, better with 5 to 10uH.
Then with the 7.78m length you will have 591pF capacitance & that is not so good.

It might be worth trying it if you can get a home demo (sale or return) but I would keep looking for other ideas.

You might want to consider ProAc’s speaker cable. It’s called: ProAc Signature Black. Also whatever you end up with have a set of jumpers made of the same wire to replace the not so great factory jumpers.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I may not have been totally clear - but as you deduce - I was looking to use the bi wire (4 leg) cable to operate as two pairs as an active hf/lf to the SBLs
I will see if I can get SOR /loans… and with the length (8.5m) we are ok on one of the criteria!

Thanks again

Hi Rick
no jumper- as I’m running 4 way cable to feed SBLs in active mode …
I’ll hunt out the brand - thanks for that

NACA5 certainly doesn’t lack anything at the bottom end.

1 Like

I agree with Richard.
I use two systems one with SL speaker cable and another with NACA5, NACA5 is actually underrated.
I was at one point looking into other speaker cables And I have tried from QED Supremus, to VDH to Vertere to The Chord Signature and more.
Superlumina was the best of the lot with Naim 250DR.
With the Superuniti i finally settled with the NACA5 and I am very happy with it.
But don’t listen to me, trust your ear.

I thought most Naim kit was designed to work with NACA5 and IME this combination has always given great results. The SL cables were designed as a cost no object cable to complement the Statement. So it is no surprise that NACA5 sounds really good with a Naim system.

Unless there is a good reason, then I’d always use Naim cable with Naim, Linn cable with Linn, Rega cable with Rega. It is a bit frustrating that in my Chord Choral system, I had to try out different cables before I settled on the ones I have now.

I did extensive research on the topics of:
Cable impedance, inductance, capacitance, shielding, attenuation.
It is a very elaborate subject and it is a field where manufacturers spend considerable resources in R&D, that’s how you have so many cable products.
I concluded that it is impossible to grasp it in detail, so it is best to follow the equipment manufacture’s recommendation.
After all we buy Naim because we trust the manufacturer. It would be folly not to trust their recommendation on speaker cables, wouldn’t it?
For me it is a closed subject.

1 Like

I agree with you Tiberio.
My only doubt now is which interconnect to use between the phono stage from the LP12 to the NAC-272. Currently I seem settled on the Vertere DiFi, but I may need to improve on that.
Also the tonearm cable might need improvement.
Finally my interconnect between the NAC-272 and the NAP-250DR is the one supplied by Naim, but I may need to improve on that too, one day.
Can’t afford another SL as interconnect but I think Naim make another interconnect not as expensive, forgot the model name.
Having written the above, I am totally content with the sound from my two HiFi systems (in two different countries).
I have by now swapped the NAC-272, NAP-250DR, LP12 so they are connected to the KEF Reference 205/2 with SL speaker cable, and the Superuniti with the Proac D20R and NACA5 speaker cable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.