Naim XS3 or SN3 and which speakers?

Ime no :slightly_smiling_face:

Is HiCap DR a nice addition to the little nait xs3?

1 Like

Yes, it is :+1:

2 Likes

Proac Tablette 10 Signature.

G

6 Likes

Hate to disagree with a dealer, but when I had an XS (first generation) and put a HiCap on it, I felt it changed the XS’ sonic signature and often sounded forced and overblown (“manic” one dealer posting on the forum, called it). Of course this was not generation 3, but I would certainly audition before choosing XS3/HCDR over SN3.

Roger

I think even an XS3 and certainly a SN3 deserves a better source. (Going by price as I’ve not heard your DAC.) If your main music is from CDs, you might consider pairing a good used CD5XS (if you can find one) with a Nait XS3. My first Naim combo was CD5XS/Nait XS. Nice visual match and excellent sound.

Roger

1 Like

Proac Tablette 10 Signature looks interesting - any pictures with a grill on? 10 ohms makes it harder to drive though?

On the source, I guess my transport / DAC combo cost around £1200 together and allows me to connect the TV and blue ray player to the DAC. Really happy with the sound buy aware that the DAC is getting on a bit. Possibly an upgrade down the line… Can the CD5XS also take other inputs via optical?

No but they have bi-wire terminals. A non-starter for me from the off - they weren’t designed on the end of Naim equipment. Bus bars or jumper leads? - no thanks.

SN3 would be more than adequate. Not sure what the comment about the bi-wire terminals is all about. It really is a non-issue sound wise…and they sound wonderful.

G

2 Likes

Okay, it’s looking like the SN3 for me.

Just seen the Evoke 20 speakers as an alternative to the MA Gold 100s. They look great. Review that I saw said that their sound is surprising for the size but not ribbon tweeters so maybe the soundstage is not as good? But which are better with the SN3?

And have seen that there is a Naim DAC V1… this is turning out to be quite a journey of discovery, helped enormously by this forum!

No, but I assumed you would keep your DAC for TV duties. Another possibility, also matching the XS casework would be to go for an nDAC to replace your current DAC and continue to use your transport. It’s a high grade piece of equipment and very good value second hand now.

Roger

1 Like

I used to have your Russ Andrews DAC a few years back. A very fine DAC it was and it would probably hold up well today. Having said that, I only played it through a Nait 5i at the time and the SN3 will be a far more revealing amp and therefore important to demo.

Demos seem to be the way forward! Thanks for all of the comments, I’ll let you know how I get on!

Also I would like to know if my Canton Ergo 690 DC series speakers could fit XS3 integrated amplifier. I currently have the Nait5si and can’t even replace the speakers other than the amplifier!

Hello Jason.

I have the SN3 and use the Graham Audio LS5/9 speakers.
Regards.
Roger

If I understand correctly , with new SN3 you don’t need a hi-cap dr anymore ?

You never needed a HICAP with any of the Supernaits, but it was a nice upgrade all the same. I’d imagine it’s a similar case with the current Suoernsit 3.

1 Like

‘Suoernsit 3’ made me lol. Is it a Russian spacecraft?

G

4 Likes

No, it’s a combination of large hands and small iPhone…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.