Nait 2, Kans Mk1 but what DAC?

Hi again, do you adjust the settings on the Qutest with this set up - such as the warm and neutral settings? Do change this depending on the music or do you keep it locked in one mode?

coax, 2v, incisive neutral HF roll off. I find the incisive neutral on its own is a little too toppy in my set up and room.
amber, green , green to set 2v.

Super helpful as a starting point - thanks!

Hey, sorry to keep at you and this is slightly off topic but it’s really helpful getting advice from yourself as you pretty much have the same set up with the Nait 2, Qutest and Kans. I’m looking at speaker cables now. In my current set up I have Audioquest Rocket which I believe are not very suitable with the Naim amp.

Nac A5 seems the obvious choice but I also see lots of people like or prefer WH Phantom (which seem impossible to get right now). Maybe also WH N2.

What’s your experience?

Thanks!

Just discovered my Nait 2 was serviced at Naim in 2012. Guess it might be coming up again?

I’m sorry to hear that and no problem. Sounds like you were very lucky to have him work on your Kans.

Naca 4 or 5 will work as will any well made 79 strand cable. Best stick to naca 5 though as I find it the better of those three. I haven’t tried anything else. Re the Nait servicing. Unless it crackles and pops I wouldn’t have it serviced until you have seen whether you want to keep it in the system. Despite the perfectionists amongst us on here, it won’t need it yet.

I got myself a Topping D90LE and it’s great. Form factor and colour would match your Nait 2, assuming you have chrome bumper, and it’s half the price of Qutest. If you do some research you can get it on home loan too to try for yourself.

Thank you and good advice. Will stick with Nac A5. Just need to find some now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. This does look really good. Have seen a few reviews now and they all seem really good but I think I’m now set on a used Qutest to start with.

No worries. I’m sure the Qutest will be nearly as good :laughing:.

Infact might try to get my hands on one to compare.

I purchased a backup pair of Kan 1s that sounded pretty poor. I was recommended this company: Anapeach Loudspeaker Restoration

They should be arriving back tomorrow when I’ll compare them to my working (very good) pair. The caps were obviously miles off by now but also the ORS had split on each speaker as shown below…

I also had new Hiquphon tweeters fitted as a precaution although Anapeach said the originals measure very close to spec. Oskar at Hiquphon said he’s made some improvements over the years so hopefully they will be worth the added expense.

The original B110 drive units also measured very well so they are staying, plus any Falcon copy wouldn’t include the doping, additional voice coil venting, etc. that Linn applied to improve the bass.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s good re a Naim HQ service. Recommendation is for servicing roughly every ten years or so, although, if it’s not been used much then it should theoretically be ok. I may be wrong, but I do think some capacitors still degrade over time independently as to how much they are used… Can anyone else please confirm?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Yes. Others I think not, or at least on a whole lot longer timeframe. Likewise degrading through use can vary from significant to negligible, and with many capacitors heat is the main factor. As mentioned in another current thread, there is no hard and fast rule. Naim will know what specific capacitors they have used, and probably know typical time in normal use for them to degrade to a point where replacement would be beneficial, hence their 8-10 year service recommendation. They may know if lack of use of their specific products makes any appreciable difference - you could always contact their technical support people and ask.

1 Like

Yes. The SBooster and Ulta II definitely lift the performance, as does the MScaler if you choose later on.

1 Like

That’s who I’ve got my pair booked in with but not until late January (soonest they could do).

I guess it will give me a chance to get accustomed to how they currently sound vs when they come back.

Be very interested to see what you think when you get yours back.

1 Like

Yeah, I had to wait about 3 months.
I’ll let you know.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I feel like I’m nearly there now.

One question I’ve got is it sounds like I’d get superior sound going through a streamer into the Qutest DAC instead of using the MacBook Pro is that correct? I currently run Audivarna on the MBP.

I can see a lot of people jumping on the Bluesoung Node seeing as it’s on sale at the moment. Would this be a good option or would I get more audio quality going down the Allo Digione Signature/RPi route?

Aries mini also seems okay but is now defunct?