Nait 5si to xs2

Hi all , new here and this has probably been asked many times before so be gentle , looking to upgrade from nait 5si to xs2 . My question , is there a big difference in sound quality . Also can I add a power amp to the xs2 further down the line . My system comprises nait5si , cd5 , flat cap CA cxn streamer , marantz tt15s1 turntable , project D’s+ phono pre with dedicated power supply speaker tannoy xt8f . Thanks

1 Like

Yes…and yes.

Yes…and yes

I did the same upgrade and have absolutely no regrets.

Certainly a good step up from the 5 series to the XS2. It took us only a few keys into Beethoven’s Moonlight sonata to know that we needed the XS2 when we compared the two a few years ago.

Thankyou guys for your input , I’ve been toying with this idea for a while , kept changing my mind as to whether separate pre power would be a better route or steeping up to supernait 2 if I can get a used one but I’ve heard so many great things about the xs2 .

Agree with the above comments. I went from 5si to an ex-demo XS3. The XS3 delivers a lot more authority and control with my B&W CM6sS speakers. Worthwhile upgrade.

1 Like

Well I’ve taken on board all your comments and read and watch lots of reviews and decided to purchased a brand new SN2 from Peter Tyson , got a great deal on it . Just waiting delivery today . Time to say goodbye to the nait 5si which has been my introduction to Naim and is a brilliant little amp . Thanks for your input guys :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Great choice, a superb integrated amp.

1 Like

Good move, but now it is time to start upgrading sources!

2 Likes

The XS2 is great, but of course the SN2 is better. [I am keeping mine for a second system.] Good move indeed, and enjoy your music! :grinning:

2 Likes

Naughty boy – his SN2 hasn’t even arrived… But true… :blush:

2 Likes

Well, the CD5 + flatcap is a competent player. If the flatcap is due for service, a service might well help and a flatcap service is small money.

1 Like

Guys I have a further question as there doesn’t seem to be much clarity regarding power supplies . Would it be worthwhile using the flatcap with the cd 5 and supernait 2 or would there be no benefit to the supernait ? Also would it be a better route to upgrading the flatcap to flatcap X’s or highcap Dr ? I’m not sure which is best route . Thanks in advance guys :+1:t3:

A flatcap is a downgrade for a SuperNait. A hicap dr is what you need there. Flatcap is good for the cd5.

1 Like

Great thankyou

Yes, I was at the local dealer on Saturday listening to a SN3 and there was a mighty uplift in sound when he put a Hicap on it

1 Like

Would it be just the standard hicap or hicap DR or does it not make that much difference ??

It was the Hicap DR I heard with it

1 Like

Skip the FlatCap - Go for the HiCap DR instead, in either case, no question. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes