Nait XS 2 Issue - All buttons illuminated and locked on power up

Hi Naim Community
Looking for some advice an issue my Nait XS 2 has developed. I’ve had the unit for about 6 years without any issues whatsoever but now when I switch it on all the 7 input buttons illuminate and it goes into a locked state where I can’t activate anything, even with the remote control. I’ve looked at some posts on FAQs and it appeared that this might indicate it is in soak mode, the advice being to reboot by holding down the mute button when switching on. This works and it resets (good advice on the thump generated via the speakers btw), but when I turn it on the next time I turn it on it defaults to the locked state. I don’t want to keep hard rebooting it to get it operational so any advice gratefully received.
Steve

Does the amp actually enter soak mode if you try? It should cycle the volume up and down (so be careful) and also cycle through the inputs.

Hi Richard,
No, it just resets to to Aux 2 (the phono stage), which was the setting it was in when the amp was switched off.
Kind regards
Steve

So if you switch it on while pressing and holding the CD input button it won’t actually go into soak mode?

Hmm… one for @NeilS I think…

Hi Richard, tried holding down the cd input button and then turning it on but it didn’t affect anything; all input button lights remained on and it was still in the locked state. Very puzzling. Steve

OK, lets see what @NeilS makes of it…

When you reset the unit by switching on with mute pressed, it defaults to Aux2?
Are you able to use the amp normally thereafter (until you power cycle) - as in the input buttons & remote respond ok?

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Hi Neil
That’s correct, it defaults to Aux2. I can’t set it to any other input (i.e. cd etc) after this, as it defaults back to Aux 2, although the mute button is functioning. Remote does not respond either.
Kind regards
Steve

Are you absolutely sure that none of the front panel buttons are physically “stuck in” somehow?
The unit should default to the CD input if the reset procedure has worked.

Regards
Neil.

Thanks Neil. I’ve double checked and none of the other front panel buttons appear to be stuck in. Just to check, the reset procedure is the one where you hold in the mute button whilst turning on the amp isn’t it? Once I have done that, it defaults to Aux2 and doesn’t allow another other inputs to be selected. Steve

Yes, that’s correct the mute button procedure is the reset & should default to the CD input.
Seems there are some gremlins messing around with the microcontroller, I’d get it booked in for a repair.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help and advice Neil. I’ll book it in for a repair as you suggest. Steve

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.