Nait XS used as integrated VS Nait XS pre + NAP200

I do if that helps. I stumbled across one to be honest. I have a ND5XS2 and LOVE it but adding the nDAC was a really really nice lift in SQ.

1 Like

Thanks, marcusman.By SQ you mean sound quality? Another question regarding streamers that I thought of; What really makes a Ā£2.000 dedicated streamer better than a Ā£500 one? Iā€™m sure itā€™s obvious, but I am having trouble understanding what the big upsides can be considering its job of recieving and delivering data files. I am really curious, not trying to be a d*** with the question :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, SQ = Sound Quality.

Youā€™ll hear different opinions from different folks on the differences. In general a dedicated streamer is a streamer/dac combo. There are plenty of less expensive ones that do sound really good but they may or may not include the DAC portion. Using the ND5XS2 as an example, it has the same streaming board(newer tech) as the NDX2/ND5555. For tidiness, a dedicated streamer usually has a very good power supply where a less expensive one youā€™ll likely purchase a better power supply. I could go on but IMHO (Iā€™ve been down this road before) I found to get equal SQ itā€™s usually much more than the Ā£500 initial cost.
I like simplicity.

I wonder what the nDAC can do compared to my Naim DAC V1. I use Bluesound Node 2i by the way.

Iā€™d expect the weakest link in this thought process to be the Node 2i.
The Naim DAC was initially designed as an upgrade path for the NDX and NDS streamers and itā€™s fair to say itā€™s at itā€™s best with a suitable source (like an NDX/NDS) and ideally driven by a (expensive) seperate power supply like the XPS or 555PS.
Plenty use it in other configurations and itā€™s a great DAC when part of a suitably capable system.
Iā€™d expect if you added an nDAC to your 2i youā€™d eventually get an ND5 XS2.
Worth also taking a step back and looking at your system as a whole and how it all gels together as well as having a longer term plan for what you want it to be, some careful planning upfront will pay dividends in the long run but may involve waiting longer to make the most appropriate changes.
I havenā€™t used an nDAC in any of my systems, closest match to that was probably the Supernait 1.

So, Thomas, how are your ideas on adding a NAP200 to your Nait XS a day and a half after your original post? What is your latest amplifier thinking?

C.

Sorry, the original post got a little out of hand. Too many good ideas leads to different paths.

Yeah, I was ok while it was HCs and NAP200s! :slight_smile:

1 Like

On one hand I want to upgrade the Nait, either to a SN2/3 or a pre+power system. On the other hand I want to A) upgrade the V1 to nDAC or B) Simplify and upgrade the whole digital end by swapping the V1 and Node with ND5XS2. I guess the question is where to begin, amps or source/ DAC. It is a long term plan anyway.

Having done a lot of these sorts of steps myself, with hindsight Iā€™d have focused on prioritising the source and getting the best I was comfortable to spend money on. I spent a number of years on a journey from an original NAIT 5 all the way through to todays Supernait 3 and probably took too many steps on the amp part as well as initially having a focus on CD as the main source and working up to a CD5 XS at which point I was diversifying in to an extended DAC and eventually streamer journey.
Iā€™d also say another common mistake (Iā€™ve made it more than once) is jumping on a product to improve your system as itā€™s cheaper and available sooner. Iā€™d again wait longer, get your source sorted first and then work from there doing things like cabling either as you go or later in the process. NAC A5 speaker cable and a grey/lavender Naim DIN cable will get you a long way on the journey.

2 Likes

Thank you for that response. I will sort out my thoughts and make a road map. But I really want to try the nDAC in stead of my V1 on the Node. As a start. The price difference second hand is second to none.

Bare in mind the nDAC is a dedicated standalone DAC whereas the DAC V1 is a preamp with a USB capable DAC and a headphone amp, quite different things. Even products using the same DAC chip can and do sound different dependant on multiple factors.
If you go down the route of swapping out the V1 for an nDAC youā€™ll almost certainly find using the coaxial electrical digital input will be preferable as opposed to connecting your 2i over optical digital.
Iā€™d expect it to easily outperform your V1 just bare in mind that longer term it may end up being a somewhat expensive side project even though you can use an nDAC with an ND5 XS2 or even an NDX2, you donā€™t really need to, itā€™ll depend in part how many boxes and cable connections you are happy to live with.

1 Like

I am more than happy if it outperforms my V1. And I already use coax between the Node and the V1. It will make more room for the system AS I can stack the three Naims on each other. Or is that a problem? Bottom up: Nait - FC - nDAC?

Ideally, never stack the ā€œblack boxesā€ directly on top of each other. Thereā€™s a number of reasons why you shouldā€™t not least the fact the seperation of the power supplies from the electronics and sensitive analogue circuits performs best when the boxes are kept apart and ideally on their own equipment shelf. You also need to pay attention to the cabling and avoid cables carrying AC mains to be away from analogue audio cables and the DC power cables between a power supply and your NAIT or source equipment.

I see. Well, it will fit in anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No harm giving it a go, the nDAC is a whole lot better than the V1 even with a 2i feeding it. Keep an eye on the serial numbers if you go looking for used ones, ideally a more recent one is preferable to avoid any potential servicing, an early one from 2009-11 may well need bits replacing, something from 2015-18 is ideal.

2 Likes

Yes itā€™ll likely fit just fine. Mine does however as pointed out its best not to stack them. Iā€™m stacking mine until I can get a new rack(Fraim). If you do, put something under the feet as you donā€™t want the feet to imprint on your casing.

I will look for a newer one. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Good point. Iā€™m sure something can be used for spacing.

1 Like

BTW, is it only the XPS and 555 psuā€™s that is able to support the nDAC?