Nait XS2 Hum when using AV input

Ive recently bought my first piece of Naim Equipment. Naim XS2 and it sounds fantastic using it with a Chord Qutest Dac. Today I tried to connect my Denon AVC-X6500H AVR receiver. When connected using the AV Input it produces a Hum via the speakers. Ive tried the AV bypass switch. I had no previous issues with my previous Integrated amp using the AV bypass it was dead silent. If I unplug my AVR from the Naim the noise disappears. Ive had a read of the other similar post and am trying to understand some of the recommendations. I m not very technically minded when it comes to electronics but I do know the Denon AVR isnt Earthed at the mains plug and it only has a 2 pin European IEC socket and a 2 pin plug which Denon supplied with a European plug convertor fitted when I bought the unit new. Could this be the cause of my suspected Ground Loop issue I am experiencing? Many Thanks

See the penultimate post in this thread.

1 Like

Thank you Robert. yeah id had a read of that thread previously. I was wondering if any of it had anything to do with the denon being a 2 pin IEC and power cable ( not Earthed) and Denon supply it fitted with a European plug convertor. I have decent Van Den Hul D-102mkIII interconnects. Ive been looking at ground loop isolators today online. I think id go for the Earthquake GLi 200 pro as it seems to be of good quality.

Not sure if this helps but I run my Denon av and xs 2 both in to an earthed socket here in France. No hum.
We have the possibilty here of either a 2 pin or earthed 3 pin. Do you have the same and can run an extension to the Denon and xs2 to test?

1 Like

Im in the UK and I only have 3 pin sockets which are earthed. The Denon comes with only a 2 pin power cable and Denon supply it fitted with a European Plug Convertor so I was wondering if the Denon not being Earthed was causing the problem.

Yes, it’s likely down to the Denon floating the earth. Add anything else connected in to the Denon, that also floats the earth and as soon as it’s connected to the Naim it finds a nice route to earth, usually through the signal earth, which can be the cause of hum. A ground loop isolator should solve the problem.

2 Likes

Thank you Richard, I have a Playstation 5 and a Nvidia Shield connected to the Denon both via HDMI then I have an HDMI ARC connected to the TV. I shall try disconnected them to see if there is any improvement and I shall buy a ground loop isolator. Thanks

Yes, you need to ground Denon, connect only ground wire to chassis.
I had same problem with Marantz and Naim Nait 5si. After grounding Marantz hum is gone.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Just before I try, can I just double check with you where I ground it.

Do I use the grounding screw on the Denon and ground it to the Denon chassis? Or do I use the grounding screw on the Denon and ground it to the Naim chassis?

Many Thanks

Ground it to the Denon chassis.

1 Like

Hi Richard. Im still waiting on my ground loop isolator so I havent tried connecting my AV again yet. Today I thought I would just use the Naim XS2 on its own with a Chord Qutest plugged into it and noticed that I had a hum and vibration coming from the Naim everytime the washing machine spun. I have a very small hum constantly and when the machine spins the hum and vibration gets a bit louder/stronger then gets quieter again when the machine stops. Any Ideas to help please? Im hoping I dont end up going round in circles with the hum. The washing machine is through in the Kitchen. Thanks

Do I have to sand the paint away on the chassis, like I do when I have fitted Amps and Subwoofers in my car? I would scape away the paint so its bare metal.

Thanks

I’m guessing you’re talking about hum and vibration being physically manifested by the toroidal transformer of the NAIT (as opposed to through the speakers)? Noise being injected into the mains from the washing machine doesn’t sound good at all. It may be faulty or may need a VDR on its mains plug.

The Chord DAC likely needs to be grounded. There are some threads on here about that if you try conducting a search.

1 Like

Thanks again for your reply Richard, much appreciated. I can confirm all is now well : ) I made a ground cable using a plug and some chord company cable. I only connected the Earth/Ground in the plug, attached it to the signal ground screw on the back of the Denon X6500H receiver, plugged it into my power strip and all the buzz and hum has gone. The Chord Qutest Dac is also working fine now, I didnt have to do anything to that.
I think it was simply a case of the Denon not being grounded at its own mains plug.

1 Like

Thanks again for your reply Jigar, much appreciated. I can confirm all is now well : ) I made a ground cable using a plug and some chord company cable. I only connected the Earth/Ground in the plug, attached it to the signal ground screw on the back of the Denon X6500H receiver, plugged it into my power strip and all the buzz and hum has gone. The Chord Qutest Dac is also working fine now, I didnt have to do anything to that.
I think it was simply a case of the Denon not being grounded at its own mains plug.

You’re welcome! I’m glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, and everything is working well now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.