NAP 135 question

I’m looking at a pair of nap 135 with non-consecutive serial numbers. They were manufactured in the same year though. Does this have negative impact when using them as a pair?

Probably not, but it depends on when both were last serviced (and were they serviced together) and also what year they were made.

1 Like

From the serial numbers they were built in 1996. Service history is not clear, but I’ll have them re-capped together.

OK, 1996 should be fine. My concern was if they were from '93 - that when H&F stopped making transformers and Naim moved to Nuvotem (as did many H&F people, so I’m told).

2 Likes

Thanks, Richard!

Now a follow up question, since I’m new to the monoblock. My system is 82/hicap-dr/200, the 135s will replace the NAP200. In terms of connectivity, should I:

1. Assume ch1 is left channel and ch2 is right channel? if true, then
  2. One cable from hicap-dr mono output to 135 ch1 and connect it to the left speaker; 2nd cable from hicap-dr mono output to 135 ch2 and connect it to the right speaker.
  3. There is no connection between the 135s, correct?
  4. Anything above is incorrect or I missed anything?

Thanks for your help in advance, I tried to search the 135 manual but couldn’t get a clear answer.

Hui

1 Like

Yes, CH1 = Left, CH2 = Right. The Din to XLR cables are handed - The RED band Goes to CH2 - Right. Just think Red = Right.

1 Like

Sorry just seen this. Does this mean that we should not buy 135s made before 93? I have seen a pair made in 88.

Not a problem. Only would be an issue if one was say 1988 and the other 1994.

1 Like

We limp on with a pair of 1991 NAP135s. They seem to sound quite good.

Best regards, BF

4 Likes

This may help : )

5 Likes

Thanks for the picture! So the mono cables are identical function wise, the green/red band is just to help identify the 2 channel?

Note that they Red and Green bands are wired differently. Hence why Red band to Right channel (CH2).

Makes you wonder why green for the left channel rather than white, which most others use.

because white is used to distinguish the DIN-XLR lead that is fully wired (CH1 +CH2) for use with the NAP250.

I try to think of them as RED and LIME
Red = Right
Lime = Left
It works for me.

1 Like

If you look at a ship from the front, the navigation lights are: port/red/right, starboard/green/left. There also has to be a light on the mast pointing forward. As it’s in the middle, it is arguably both left and right, and is white.

Given JV’s interest in designing boats, it kind of makes sense! Hmm! :thinking:

Probably just coincidence, but it’s how I remember which cable goes to which channel.

Also, the rear light has an arc of 135°. Really? Oh come on!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Is this spot the deliberate mistake? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No. I recommend reading the entire sentence.

I did, and it is misleading, the red light is on the left side of the ship, the green the right of the ship. Port and starboard are nautical terms of orientation that deal unambiguously with the structure of vessels, referring respectively to the left and right sides of the vessel, seen by an observer aboard the vessel looking forward.

1 Like