NAP-140 to drive ATC Speakers (SCM-7)

what loudspeaker do you use?
thank you

I have Rogers BBC Studio Monitors…

A second hand purchase that predates the Naim system by 15 years…

As stated, I have never changed these fine, though very unfashionable, speakers.

I have got smaller speakers that I have used with the computer in another room, but I have never used these with the Naim.

After so much feedback to confirm that a NAP140 will drive ATC SCM-7 very well, is there something else you would like to know?

Back in the day, I had reason to compare a NAP140 with a Nait 5. I had bought the Nait as part of a system with speakers, stands, cables etc, as it had worked so well in the dealer’s demonstration room.
Once installed in our living room, much of the bass had been sucked out, leaving music sounding anaemic.

I called the dealer. He said,“We can either try bigger speakers or a better amplifier to bring the bass back. Let’s try the NAP140, as it’s a much better power amplifier with the better Naim transistors and it will bring back much of the bass that you are missing.”

In came the NAP140 and a pre-owned NAC32.5, out went the Nait, back came the missing bass and a smile on my face. We still have that NAP140…

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

If you can find a Nap 180 its the same amp as Nap 140, but with a larger toroidal trafo, sized around Nap 250 in full width cabinet.

1 Like

My son powered SCM7s with a NAP100, all good. Great speakers!

1 Like

I tried it with SCM11, utterly inadequate.
It just worked ok in biamp mode.

ATC claim their speakers are easy to drive 8Ω loads. They also suggest that ease of drive is little discussed by enthusiasts, who tend to focus more on sensitivity. I’m paraphrasing but not much.

The original SCM7 were a pig to drive

NAP-140, eventhough in small body but very powerful power amp indeed

1 Like

Small in stature perhaps but with the wonderful control that ATC speakers adore.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Hi primemerkava

Interesting - I have a CB nait 2 and also CB 32.5/CB hicap/CB 250

Tried with lots of speakers - around 8/8.30 o’clock does it for me also

The 140 will be fine driving lots of speakers

Remember - it’s naim watts :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.