Nap 200 moving up to a Nap 250?

Hi Perf

I have the speakers closely back to a solid wall , about six ft apart, facing a room 25 ft in length and 14 ft in width.
Solid concrete is the floor construction.

Hi Dan

I would like to try a better source but the CD5 has given many years of excellent service, and a realistic replay
of music to my ears. I think a lot of respect was given to the player ,when released some 20 years ago.

Hi Pie, unfortunately I have no idea how to translate those ft figures to metric.
I was merely thinking if speakers are a hard load, in which a Nap250 excel.
(I preferred my Nap 200 to a 250.2 on some easy driven Rega loudspeakers)

Hi Perf

No problem, I don’t think that SBL’s are particularly inefficient ,and are a hard speaker to drive. I believe that people have had good results with less, than a Nap 200, but the speakers performance really improves with a higher rated Naim amplifier such as a Nap 250 and further on in the range.

Regards

Pieman.

The CDS2 and CDS3 or CDX2 are going to be in different league. If you’re moving your game up with a 250, a better source will be worth looking at.

Talking from experience. I had a CD5Si and when I got the 82 with 250 it wasn’t up to the job. And then an ND5XS with external DAC. The CDS2 was in a completely different league.

The source is the key as well as upgrading your 200.

Do one thing at a time though and see what you think.

1 Like

I just did the same. It is a bit fuller and more detailed amp. Did the DR model and I’m sure, you will enjoy it.

Good advice Dan

As you say changing one component, gives the chance for any improvement to be heard, rather than two at the same time ,wondering where the improvements have come from.

Pieman.

I don’t know the 82 but 202>282 is a paradigm shift. 282 powered by 200 is great.

Regards,

Lindsay

4 Likes

200 to 250-2 - Noooo

200 to 250DR - Yessss!

IME

G

3 Likes

Any CD5i are entry level, CD5/CD5X/CD5XS all entirely better, even w/o sep. psu
I’ve had CD5XS/FC2XS, preferred to single CDX/CDX2.

1 Like

Oh, didn’t know you had SBL, they definitely like a 250.

I tried a 200 with a SN1/HC then SC2 then 252/SC2 and could never get on with it. Maybe it sounds better with a 282 but the music didn’t sound right until i got a 250.2 and now 250DR.

FWIW, I got a 250.2 second hand for £850 and then had it serviced. Could have gone for a DR upgrade (about £1k I think) but I like the full bodied sound of the .2 as it is.

1 Like

Wow 850 was a good buy.

2 Likes

Agreed but CDS2 or CDS3 different league for sure.

1 Like

Not seen any deals like that for 250.2. You did ever so well!

Hello Pieman

In your situation I would suggest improving the source first

I run the CD5XS/nDAC/XPS-2 combo and it’s very very good. You could start off with the first 2 components which will be a huge step up ,and add the XPS later, no hurry

I would think about the amp change over later on, no hurry on that either.

For me always source first

Cheers

Bevo

2 Likes

Hi Bevo

Thanks for your reply.

I do think that the source first principle makes for a good firm foundation on system building as mentioned.

Regards

Pie.

Notice there are at least 5 editions of Nap 250.

What are the 5 or more editions may I ask?
Obviously I’m aware of the original 250, then 250-2 then DR. I’m only talking classic boxes here not olive or CB.
Thanks.

Two CB types and one Olive.