Nap 200/ Nac 202 product History

Likewise :+1:

But not half of the audible frequency range, in fact just a very small fraction of thisā€¦

I donā€™t think I have seen the point Iā€™ll raise (on this thread).

If you use a Hicap to power the 202, the 200 DR offers no benefit over the older 200, because the DR bit of the 200 is only for the preamp.

Soā€¦ if you are contemplating a Hicap DR as a future upgrade, consider buying an older 200 and having it serviced (if necessary) instead of a newer 200 DR. The price difference might offset a lot of a Hicap DR cost.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really interesting I had no idea. Although Iā€™ve already bought the DR version. Itā€™s ok though, I got it for a good price and more than likely I will use it without a PS for a while first and then with just the NAPSC. Probably years. I should get years of use from the DR.

1 Like

Good Point. Correctly made, I believe.

But - the 200DR might be preferred for its future resale value, maybeā€¦?

YMMV, as always.

1 Like

I may be wrong but I remember some threads when people were saying that itā€™s generally less expensive to buy a second hand dr 200 or else than buying an old 200 and sending it for service and dr.

Agreed, but I wasnā€™t suggesting upgrading an old 200 to DR specification, just servicing it as a 200, which is pretty low cost.

The 200 cannot be upgraded to DR, you would have to buy one made as a 200DR.

Ah ok, I understand now. But the 200 dr is really better ā€¦.

Why? You canā€™t dr an old 200?

I guess thereā€™s not a great deal of point. The amp itself in a NAP200DR does not use any DR modules or NA009 transistors. The DR is just for the small single-rail pre-amp supply. Likely better by far to go for a far superior HICAP DR supply and just service the NAP200.

1 Like

I got the DR for less than I could have got an old one and a service. So worked out well.

1 Like

Ah ok, didnā€™t knew that.

I donā€™t know why, I guess either Naim felt it was not worthwhile or it was technically impossible. It has always been the case that the power amp PSUs (250 and above) and separate box preamp PSUs (Hicap, Supercap) could be upgraded to DR. The built in preamp PSUs (200 and Supernait) canā€™t.
For me the 200DR is still a good option for providing power to a 202 or 282, and I was very happy with my 282/200DR. Sure, if you have Ā£1500 and a spare shelf, a Hicap is better.

1 Like

Not offended at all.
Just mention my own experience, I have heard expensive setup with expensive speakers sounding awful, I have heard cheap setup sounding beautiful and many other various setups in-between, its not always about money and cost but about matching and select the good stuff.
Personal preference and taste do play a role too, conclusion thereā€™s no easy answer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.