NAP 200 Service - any experience?

I bought it serviced so can’t comment. Just tried a NAP250.2 in my system though; not supposed to work well with NAC202 but it sounds much better to me than the 200. Warmer with superb control over the bass. Might not work in your system though, I have bright speakers Kudos C2.

Think I’ll look to get the 200 serviced and dream about a 300!

2 Likes

I would send the 200 to Darren at Class A for service and not bother with a 200 DR upgrade as you have a HiCap and the DR bit in the 200 would not be used.

Used 250DR is around £2.5k a 200 service around £200-250

2 Likes

There is no 200 DR upgrade, you would have to buy a 200DR. Or a 250 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I thought Naim offered a DR uograde to the 200, oh well

No, only for 250 and above. But as you say, 200DR would be of no benefit to the OP.

Did originally I thought but it’s irrelevant if you have a HC 2 DR.

Thanks for all the input everyone but here’s a game changer.

I disconnected my XPS and went back to a bare CDX2. No more muddiness, more dynamics.

The XPS is 2003 and seems to be badly needing a service!

I also have an Olive XPS for my nDAC and had that serviced within days of purchase.
My Supercap was converted from a 52PS in 2004. Since I’ve had the Supercap serviced (also within days of purchase) it’s so much better.

Bought my XPS used and to tell the truth, it seemed to be an improvement at first. Was quite staggered when I took the thing off yesterday and found it was now actually degrading the sound.

So, it’s getting a service and hopefully I’ll be able to hear what it should actually do for my CDX2 in an ‘as new’ state.

Had mine recalled, although couldn’t afford to DR it at the time. Massive difference.

So basically my journey turns out to have been this:
CDX2 -> 202
CDX2 -> Ailing XPS -> 202
CDX2 -> Ailing XPS -> 282
CDX2 -> 282 (sounding very dynamic)

To come:
CDX2 -> Good as new XPS -> 282 (to be continued…)

My 200 is coming back from its service tomorrow after it and the XPS / HiCap have also been recently serviced.

Bit the bullet and decided to get all 3 done en masse and tomorrow will be the first time I’ve heard all these components together.

Am expecting to be impressed!

Depends on how overdue they were for service or not. I’ve never failed to be happy with freshly service kit.
:smiley:

I own a 200/282 combo which were bought at the same time 13 years ago and were both upgraded and serviced together last Summer by Class A, (one of only 3 Naim authorised service centres in the UK and highly recommended by many Forum members).

There was not to my ears a huge difference after they came back, if I had to put my finger on it, more bass and greater separation between instruments. Was it worth it? Mmm, difficult to say but I can’t think of a more noticeable Amp upgrade for the £500 or so I laid out. My opinion of course!

1 Like

You bought new? If so they weren’t miles out of service spec, especially the preamp.
Non regulated amps run for longer between services without SQ degrading.

It’s a service not an upgrade. Those that have had big difference have left it long enough for the sound to degrade :grinning:

I did buy them both new and when I contacted Class A, I was advised the service would include an upgrade in the price (unless I didn’t want it so but even then some components were no longer made). To be honest, I have always looked after my kit and the guts were in very good condition compared to some which look liked they’d been used to cook barbeques!

My 200 is 14 years old and the XPS was older than that. The service made a big difference to the XPS.

Also, there should be some ‘subtle’ factory upgrades to the 200 as part of the work.

1 Like

OK, after a good initial listening session, the system has been totally rejuvenated.

The bottom end is now as tight as anything, more dynamics and space between instruments. All the muddiness has been eliminated. Money well spent and far cheaper than any worthwhile component upgrade.

HiCap, XPS and 200 now set for many more years of happy listening.

From here, probably a NAP300 DR, one day…

3 Likes

Worth considering preloved. A 500 even non DR is as good as it gets. If they were serviced in the last few years no bills for quite a while.

Phil