NAP 200 to 250DR

Just some rumination.

Replacing my NAP 200 with a 250DR apppears to be a logical next step for my system. A question for those who have followed this path and would be willing to advise…

Is this likely to be a worthwhile upgrade and what improvements might it bring over the 200?

I currently have NDS/555DR, 282/HiCapDR. The idea behind going for the NAP250 would be to avoid triggering a series of further amp upgrades for the time being, at least.

A very logical step IMHO. I too made that step, although I had a NDX (bare) and 282/HiCap (non DR) at the time IIRC. Your Shahinian Arc2s should also appreciate the added control the 250DR will bring.

You can pretty well expect more of everything with this power amp upgrade. I still use my 250DR with my ND555/PS555DR/552 upstream. Having said this, if funds permit, you might want to check if a 300DR would be worthwhile leapfrogging the 250DR for. Maybe you can ask a friendly dealer to help you there, possibly with some home demos. If the 300DR is too much of a financial stretch, then the 250DR is a superb option.

Good luck

3 Likes

I have a 282 with twin hicaps and went 200 to 250.2 and then 250DR. Both amplifier changes brought noticeable differences. The 250 has far more speaker control, with taut bass being the obvious one. However, there was also additional detail throughout the range. The intermediate step of the 250.2 was financially driven, and that amplifier has a darker tone that appealed to me. However, living with the 250DR has been a revelation and it took me a few months to fully appreciate how much better it is. I can imagine that the straight move from 200 to 250DR would be interesting and rewarding.

2 Likes

Within two weeks I can comment on the upgrade from NAC-N 272/ NAP 200 to NAC-N 272 / NAP 250 DR :smiley:

2 Likes

Nap 250 is a Regulated hi end amplifier
It’s considerably superior to all the amps below it in Naim hierarchy

I did same jump, big increase in sheer bass was my first reaction !

2 Likes

It’s a no brainer upgrade in my opinion. You’ll have a super system with the 250dr in place, I would say that as it will be the same as mine bar the speakers!

1 Like

I also run 282 HC 200 and the 250 is the next logical jump. The thing is, I get more than enough bass out of the 200 and many on this forum have talked about the extra bass to be had from the 250 which actually puts me off somewhat. Bass quality is a good thing but I don’t want even more low frequencies being blasted at me which might throw everything right out of balance. I certainly wouldn’t take the plunge without a home demo.

3 Likes

@nAIM_high from my experence, agree totall with @NigelB

I went from 200 NAP to 300 and then DR the 300, it’s worth it believe me, 250DR is very very good, I heard the 300 Non DR which to me offered more than 250DR and then I got my 300 DR either will work very nicely with 282/HCDR (which again I had) , but for me the 300DR is a keeper and I love the muscial presentation it has, the detail and seperation are sublime

1 Like

I’d say that your room acoustics, and how the speakers behave in the room, are the biggest factor in this, so you are right that a home demo would be important. For me, moving to a 250DR was a very positive change, but there are some who have preferred to stick with a 200.

1 Like

I’m one of those who decided to stick with the 200…I’ve tried the 250 twice and in my room it created more of a boomy bass sound. As Chris says the room acoustics and your speakers are important factors

1 Like

I’m surprised others have found the 250 bass boomy …I found the (dr) bass very controlled …
Also used in an NDS system (though with 252/supercap) …so the pre is a little “drier” than the 282

1 Like

I think a lot of the bass issues that people refer to are related to the non DR 250.2 which I understand has quite a different sound signature to the DR version.

1 Like

Before I purchased 272/250dr I home demoed 202/200 with Cd5xs and ndac as source. I found the 272/250 has much more control, speed and detail but did not find the bass to be louder. Having said that the 272 pre has a part to play but your source and pre are superb. My speakers are also not particularly bass heavy - neat motive 2.

2 Likes

As a few have mentioned I was expecting more control and speed but it wasn’t to be…I always assumed it was the room which is not very big, somehow the 200 just worked better for me. Might have to have another try some day.

1 Like

For me, with a similar setup the 250DR was a fairly substantial upgrade from the 200. It’s been 3-4 yrs since I upgraded but from memory for starters the 250DR is a much fuller sounding amp, with more bottom end. It brought out far more detail while at the same time sounding smoother. For me a much more refined sounding amp.

1 Like

I understand your comment about bass quantity vs quality. The 250.2 appeared bass heavy vs the 200. At first, I thought that the 250DR was bass light but have concluded that the bass is faster, controlled and immensely textured. After that, it is up to the speakers as to what you are hearing. My Dynaudio S40s seem very happy with what they are getting.

1 Like

Damn … those S40’s are my supposed next step :wink:

Lucky you. Undoubtedly the best speakers that I have ever bought. Mid range, top end, bass, they lack for nothing

1 Like

Thanks, first I need to recover from the outlay for the 250DR so this will only be after the summer I’m afraid.

1 Like

Another vote for the NAP 250DR to add to the landslide win over NAP 200.

The 250DR is surely a natural partner to the NAC 282. The 200 not only lacks the full and deep bass of the 250DR. It does not possess the textured or layered bass of the 250DR. In other words, the bass on the 200 sounds like a “one-note” bass without much going on in between. Apart from the depth and definition of the bass, the 250DR also sounds more detailed than the 200, the finer nuances in the recording coming out more and sounding more realistic. The sound of percussion sounds more realistic with the 250DR (as opposed to a more tinny metallic sound produced by the 200). Also, decays sound more delicious with the 250DR as it lingers in the air before fading slowly into the background.

Personally I feel the 250DR is the best value amp that is able to give you a slice of high-end Naim sound without breaking the bank. As Analogmusic has mentioned, perhaps the regulated circuit played a huge role in elevating the performance of the 250DR to greater heights.

I would add that going from the 250DR to the 200, a huge chunk of bass goes missing and one might feel that something doesn’t sound quite right (or satisfying). Having said that, the ears will compensate after a while but there’s no denying the fact that the 250DR is a much more satisfying listen than the 200 in most circumstances.

4 Likes