NAP-250 vs NAP-200

This forum is really good for getting advice on how best to spend your money! :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a 102/Hicap/140 and asked on here about adding a 250. The advice was to get a 282 or 82 first so I purchased a really nice late 82 that gave me a a superb upgrade - vocals became so real it was scary, and this was with an Olive140.

3 Likes

Yes, it should.

2 Likes

Congratulations @Hifirydis on your purchase of the iconic NAP250.

I just wanted to make sure that you are aware that the NAC152XS will take both outputs of the FCXS. These are upgrade 1 and upgrade 2 on the back of the preamp.

2 Likes

Of course a 202 will work with a 250.2
just not an ideal combo.

Maybe a reason for described less difference, the power amp was cheap, need service and not the most liked 250 version.

Source is important too.

1 Like

Liked or not liked makes a difference to the sound ?
Now Iā€™ve heard it all.

Hi Hfirydis,
Welcome to the delights of Naim ownership.

You may first wish to contact either Naim or the previous owner to find out when the NAP250 was last serviced. If it hasnā€™t been serviced or the last service was more than about 8 years ago then it may be worth selling it to provide the funds for a NAC282 or NAC82. Alternatively, keep it, have it serviced (I would have it DRā€™ed too) then sell your existing amplifier components to fund a NAC282/Hicap, NAC82/Hicap or a 272.

The 202 & 250 just donā€™t seem to make a happy pairing whenever Iā€™ve heard them together.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, however well intentioned.

Hope this helps, if only a bit, BF

3 Likes

thanks, w`ll see what I find. I got more power but sound didnt improve that much as I expected.

A power amp cannot add what is not there already. All the 250 does is reveal the limitations in your source and, particularly, the preamp.

2 Likes

Having owned both 202 and now 282, in your position you would be best waiting a bit longer and getting a 282. The 282 is so much better than the 202 in every department! I donā€™t blame you though for picking up a 250 if a really good deal was on the table. A 250 or maybe even a 300 is my next upgrade.

Finally as others have indicated the 282/200 combination is a really good one and has real synergy.

Andy

2 Likes

Yes thank you. I use both outputs on fcxs. My main target was to have more power but I was of course wishing for improvement in sound to. Im happy with my equipment at the moment but always checking the market for upgrades.

1 Like

Congratulations @Hifirydis I went from a 200 (non DR) to a 250 DR and have never looked back.

2 Likes

ebay can work wondersā€¦

1 Like

Yes, congrats on your purchase. I would not swap it for anything else and I would not spend money on a service at the moment unless there is something obviously wrong, sich as pops or crackles. I would just enjoy what you have, its a cracking amp, and then wait until the money comes together for an 82 or 282. That is where the biggest improvement per krona spent is going to come from.
Enjoy the music meanwhile.

1 Like

A service is an essential part of a regulated amps good health and optimum SQ.

1 Like

@Guinnless
Indeed it is, but as Noel once said
Timing dear boy, timing.

WitchHat Hatpin gives a modest improvement over the standard DIN/XLR in my direct experience.

On Swap Shop?

2 Likes

thank you. Totally agree with you, enjoy the music and be happy with what you have instead of searching for what you dont haveā€¦ But thats sadly one of the disadvantages with our hobby and especially Naim. I will look for a better preamp.

Please do check the service history of your new NAP250. If it hasnā€™t been serviced recently, then this may bring the very real improvement in sound quality that you sense is lacking.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

What you have in front of the 250 is the problem, youā€™ve got the makings for a mullet there.

2 Likes