Nap 250DR or Proac D2R

I need your expert advice as to which will be the logical upgrade and will give maximum performance uplift for my system. I have limited budget to spend and can go only one at a time this year. Current System is in my profile. Thank you for your time and looking forward great advices from the forum as usual.

How did you decide that these are the only two options for upgrade (speakers and power amp)? From your system you could also consider a 282 pre amp with HicapDR, HicapDR for the SN3, or improving the NDX2 with XPS DR.

Edit: Do you have a specific goal for evolving the system, as you seem to consider to make the first move to separates?

4 Likes

These are the only two options easily available and are on very good discount.

3 Likes

Have you heard the speakers at all? I’m not familiar with them but looking at your system, I would imagine they would sound quite different. If you like them I would go for those first.

2 Likes

I have not heard them and it would be a blind purchase that is the reason I asked for the advice and I know I would not go wrong as all my purchases were blind as I do not have dealer near by (425 KMs away with no demo facilities) and have to purchase blind.

For the time being I do not have any intentions to go separates. I’m very much obsessed with the na009 transistors which nap 250dr has and is on very good discount :blush: at the moment which is brand new factory sealed box.

1 Like

If you want a 250 then that is “going separates”; you can temporarily use the sn as preamp then add hicap then swap sn for 282.

3 Likes

Perhaps you could see it this way. If you like the sound you have with the speakers, the 250 will certainly improve aspects of that. But the pre and source will remain the same.

New speakers could be more exciting as this will be more of an overall change of the sound. You would also go from floorstander to another type of speaker. Also, as I understand it, the monitor audio silver speakers are 90b sensitive and the SN3 would probably handle these rather well already, and the 250DR might not be the big step up you hope for? Speculation on my part, of course.

If you really don’t plan to go separates, meaning another pre than the SN3, it seems right to find the speakers that works really well with the SN3 as it is, and which you enjoy. Change of speaker sound character can also be an important part of the feeling of improvement! But buying speakers blind involves higher stakes! More of an adventure. :blush:

3 Likes

Your system :-
Naim SN3
Naim NDX2
Naim NAC A5 5m per side
REL T9i
Kimber Kable REL Subwoofer Cable
Roksan Caspian m2
Marantz SA-14s1
RME ADI 2 DAC FS
Monitor Audio Silver 8
Chord Epic interconnects and speaker cable

Others here have given good advice. Just a note on your current Monitor Audio Silver 8. This floorstand speaker goes down to 32 Hz and the Proac D2R will not go as low despite the published frequency response of 30 Hz to 30 kHz (as previous spec indicated it’s based on -6dB instead of -3dB). In other words, the published spec of the Proac especially on the bass frequency response is not accurate, in my view. Hence, you can expect to hear a reduced bass response from the Proac although the overall sound quality may be an improvement.

Personally I view the speakers to be the most important component of the system ahead of sources and amps as the sound quality is shaped by the speakers. So it’s difficult to say if you would like the Proac D2R more than your current Monitor Audio Silver 8 without listening. In the end it will depend on the sound you are looking for. Personally I would pick a higher quality bookshelf to lower quality floorstands so if it were me, I would pick the Proac although I have not listened to the D2R.

Call me shallow but any loudspeaker which is less than ÂŁ1k does not quite cut it to me.
Monitor Audio Silver 8 - ÂŁ895
Proac Response D2R - ÂŁ3,045

3 Likes

Looking over this thread, and your current system my advice would be to go for the D2R’s. They are fantastic and a SN3/NDX2 combo powers them effortlessly. I’m not familiar with your current speakers but adding a NAP250DR leads towards separates which you are trying to avoid if I read that right… ( Keep in mind you’ll likely have to purchase some quality stands if you go the speaker route)

6 Likes

No question the ProAc D2R. Don’t forget $$ for good stands.

4 Likes

I would go with the ProAc D2R speakers. I have owned them and they are wonderful pairing with a SuperNait. I would also be looking for a Power Supply for your NDX 2 prior to going for a Power Amp. If you are eventually looking at adding a power amp to your SN then you should also consider adding a Preamp as well.

I did move from an XPS DR > NDX 2 > HiCapDR > SN2 > ProAc D30RS to a XPS DR > NDX 2 > HiCapDR > NAC 282 > SN2 > ProAc D30RS. Just moving the HiCapDR to the PreAmp from the SN2. Lots of ways to upgrade in small steps to reach your end goal. Enjoy the journey…

4 Likes

Didn’t you just get a SuperCapDR now?

1 Like

There is almost no dilemma here, D2R definitely, since you would not go separates route, then the NAP makes little sense, regardless the discount price, from now on discounts on Classic series will likely be more frequent given the new gen. 250DR would not add much to your already nice setup, changing to a better speaker will bring far greater improvement.

I also bought my D2Rs without prior audition, my purchase was solely based on reviews and at the time I owned Tab10S, so more or less I knew what I was getting in terms of sound signature. By the time my source was DAC-V1/SN2 and even with the “basic” V1 the D2Rs are a fab speaker. I have since boosted my preamp section by adding an Olive 82/HC to the SN2 and the ProAcs continue to surprise me, they have responded very well to the better front end. Terrific speaker.

4 Likes

The Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers are highly rated in stereophile review on them. They don’t make them anymore so not sure about price comparator with proac D2R. What is lacking with your speakers? Going from floor standers to book shelf speakers will change the bass and sound.

Will they be better or will you prefer them? Not sure.

I don’t get why you want a 250DR unless you’re going down separates route. Logic suggests a 250 DR is paired with a 282 HiCap system.

1 Like

@Porphyr is making sense. Normally the options include adding power supplies to source and your integrated amp.

282 and hicap is often way to go, using power amp section of the SN2.

You have other options. The speaker change maybe fantastic though. I know when I changed my speakers it made a huge difference.

1 Like

Totally understand you wanting to improve system and take advantage of good deals.
Buying blind is not ideal but you just need to weigh up risks.
I note you have a sub already so not sure you’d lose much in lower register swapping floorstanders for bookshelf and ProAcs are a great match with Naim equipment imo.
The 250dr would also be good if you have aspirations to go separates.
On balance I’d go ProAcs but probably a bit biased. Enjoy.

1 Like

I have some really nice bookshelfs (wilson tunetots) and run very similar setup. Sn3 ndx2 chord epic power supplies, etc. and even an rel sub. The tunetots are a great match and i feel like im getting everything from my electronics given my 4x 5m room. I have subbed in bowers 705d3 and revel m22s, both of which sounded very good but not nearly as nice, detailed, musical. Very good but naot a match. I considered dynaudio heritage spcials and spendor classic 1/2s2. The spendors were sweet but i needee smaller. I think you can upgrade your system with some just nicer speakers

3 Likes

The D2Rs are in my mind, going sing beautifully powered by a SN3. The thing is to consider the size of your room. Also an important thing to bear in mind is that you will have to spend quite a bit on really good stands. For example, I could have bought the D20rs for much the same money if the stands are factored in.
I’d keep your REL t9i as I think the proacs do benefit form a bit of extra bass reinforcement. Finally the D2Rs need quite a time to run in and reward some space from the rear and side walls. My vote would be for the ProAcs.

4 Likes

A no brainer, really: D2R.

2 Likes