NAP 300 Burndies

It would be handy if there was a YouTube video of how to massage the Burndy properly. Some interesting things come up if the word massage is included in a google search!

I think lots of other topics could be covered this way also.

Phil

2 Likes

Then it’s beyond belief and become empirical.

If I shake the cables I hear no difference either.
But when they are on the floor - in my case a suspended wooden floor - with music playing with a wider bandwidth of vibration than you can shake them with by hand it is heard in my system and it is bad.

People can try or not as pleases. Solid floors may also be better in that respect.
If it sounds good as it is then why bother. :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

1 Like

Rebuild complete in this configuration:

Brain (from top)

NDS

Brawn

300PS
SCDR
555PS

The good news is that all of the Burndies are now hanging much more freely. Aside from touching the floor the 300s were also really quite badly contorted as a consequence of running from base level to base level. I spent some time massaging them back to run straight and they now are completely unstressed. The 252 Burndy and snaic now run together a little lower than before but I think it’s ok; pipe insulation used to stop any touching with other cables. Same for the NDS Burndies. The thing to weigh up here was the respective advantage between having the 252 on top (as it seems to prefer) and having the NDS Burndies hanging freely which meant the NDS needed to be higher. As @Darkebear rightly says the Fraim is a puzzle and there will usually be compromises to make (unless one has unlimited space and budget).

I’ll leave it to warm up again and have a listen later this evening. Will report on whether it makes any difference at all!

Thanks for all the helpful input on this.

2 Likes

What stopped the supercap going on the bottom and the 252 on top? Anyway it’s done now so might as well give it a good go.

@Yeti nothing stops SC going on the bottom. It can do. I was just trying to ensure that the SC has some air around it (the middle shelf is a medium level) which I thought was preferred rather than having it boxed in.

Moving the 252 to the middle shelf and NDS to top resulted in a worse sound. It was as if a veil was over it. Not good at all.

So, taking @Yeti’s suggestion, the SCDR is now on the base shelf of brawn but, to ensure it has some space around it, I’ve used the medium shelf on the base instead of the standard.

Then, on the brain stack, I’ve moved the 252 up top and the NDS back to where it was on the middle level (with the medium height).

All Burndies now hang freely and it sounds wonderful (the fizz and sparkle is there in spades).

Thanks @Yeti for that suggestion.

Scdr on bottom. What the rest of the power stack?? Very interested as I have the same setup almost

@TrueBlue it’s (from top) 300PS and 555PS.

1 Like

My SC powers a superline now and still it seems to work well on the bottom shelf, better than the 552ps does.

@NorfolkT Thankyou will have a shuffle round next week.

1 Like

Based on the comments on this thread, I have just moved my SC on the brawn rack down to base, then 555PS powering CDS3 above it and 300PS above that. Right from the off it sounds good, some improvements I think to clarity and soundstage. Will be monitoring this over the next few days. Of course, it may just be that I have improved the Burndy connectivity/routing !

2 Likes

Exactly the same here. It’s a really significant improvement over the previous set up and I think it’s most likely due to the 300 and the other Burndies hanging freely rather than which power supply sits where in the stack (although both are related).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.