NAP 500 versus NAP 300

Over the years i have had the pleasure of having olive 250’s in an active systems, using 2 and 3 off them, also a 300dr, again on the active system for a while, paired with 2 x 250’s. Also the 300dr driving my fact 12’s along with the 552 and finally the 500dr with the 552.
Never had the 135’s, but i can say the 300dr is a very nice amp and if you run any other pre other than the 552, i would say its a fine place to be, it sounds different to the 500dr for sure, and as others have said, but really the real star is when you have both the 552 and 500 together, as this is ideally the partnership you want, together they just really work well and even with my 2002 un serviced 552 it sounds fabulous and cant wait till its serviced and DR’ed.

2 Likes

That’s been my problem. I’ve mixed the generations quite often with great results I should add. Ideally I should hear the classic amps together. But I’m sure the 552/500 DR together are sublime. I just don’t believe I will ever get there.

In the same way I lust after an Audio Note DAC 5 special. But even at a used price of 10k I don’t imagine I’m ever going to get to own one.

Well there is certainly no problem only having a 300dr in your system thats for sure, if anything 300dr guys should be more than happy and its certainly good enough not to be the week link in most situations.

1 Like

Even a none DR 300 is excellent and sounds just right feeding my SL2s.

This will be my last amp and I have no intention of spending money DRing the 300.

1 Like

People talk about value for money and diminishing returns. However when I got my 500 I thought it was a significant step forward as it made the music so more emotionally connecting to me. I immediately had this spine feeling and even a tear in my eye when hearing how right it sounded.

2 Likes

When it comes to certain things, related to pleasure and emotions, like art, rare books, jewellery, etc. and, to a certain point, HiFi, reasoning in terms of diminishing returns doesn’t make sense.

The 500 series is indeed about pleasure and emotion. It is that simple :smiley:

9 Likes

Only to the extend that what is affordable comes into play.

2 Likes

My experience is that the better the system is, the bigger the impact of any improvement. The opposite of diminishing returns.
Hans

3 Likes

I thought the 500 indeed would bring something more in many aspects of the exceptional 300.
It appeared to be much more than that, in all aspects. It is amazing how much more vivid and impactful it is while more transparent, refined and liquid at the same time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.