NAP-V175 Complements

Hello.

I am assembling a new TV room and intend to use existing NAP-V175 and AV-2 amp for L and R surround and Center; plus, (need to acquire) for LF and RF:
NAP 150XS
NAP 200
NAP 250 DR
NAP-V 145 x2

Main speakers will be Allaes, Nautilus 50 stand-mounts, or KEF Q50 or better. Suggestions and experience welcome.

Thank you.

Nick

Hi Nick,

What centre speaker are you going to use?

M

NAP 150XS would be fine with your NAP-V175. I used the older NAP 150 when I was running the 175. The 145 is really only needed for a single centre speaker. A 250, 145, 200 would be very nice set up.

1 Like

Hi. I have the KEF center speaker associated and contemporary with Q50 and Q10 system. This is really just a starting point. And I am considering in-ceiling surrounds instead of the Q10s, due to logistics.

Nick

Thanks, @RackKit. I was fond of my NAP 150. Should have hung onto it!

Nick

1 Like

Hi Nick,

I suspect I am about to state that which you already know very well!

I think the centre is SO important in getting a first rate sound field using surround sound. So I would expect your centre to work synergistcally with your KEF mains; and be less effective with the other main speakers you list.

WRT the amp if money is secondary I would echo RackKit. That said I use a 300DR for my SBLs and a Nord 1 up NC500 for my centre and rears; this allows me to massage my guilt about leaving the 300 on 24/7!

In my case the speakers are: SBL; Axcess; and, Focal Domes as rears. I do have a 250 & 140 I could use for other speaker duties but I find the Nord to be excellent. Are the SBLs and Axcess fully congruous? No, there is a smidge of difference when vocals pan from extreme LR to centre, but this is rare and the voicing of the 300DR and CB amps is also not 100%.

Compromises eh!

I will watch your choices with interest.

HNY,

M

1 Like

Thanks, M. We are old friends on this journey, after all. I WAS thinking a NAP 300 DR might be nice to have — trying not to go there!

I think I have only seen a Naim center speaker once or twice in Seattle. If I come across one for sale, I might try it with the Allaes, which may finally have their day with me, as they like the new basement AV room like no other I have tried them in before.

I know I repeat myself when I say the old KEFs are surprisingly good for as low-end as they are.

Once I get things set up, I can finally sell on some of the surplus speakers, and maybe audition something new.

Nick

Yes! :wink:

The 150 balanced nicely with the 175 as I think they’re the same amps, the 175 basically being 3 x 150 in one box. It was a temporary set up, so when the main system was hooked up (252/300) I was able to drive the Axess centre with a 145. Which then led to me changing the 150 for a 200 to power the surrounds (wall mounted n-Sats). The 200 had a bigger difference over the 150 than I was expecting and had been told it would. It really pulled the surround forward to join up with the fronts. Don’t make the mistake of overlooking the surrounds and how they’re driven.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.