NAP135 Fans kicked in

Is this an early remote that is unique to the 52 ?

Another benefit of aircon - 22C in my living room and 38 outside this afternoon :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes it’s the early one. Held together with hot glue superglue and a bit of Perspex over the front end. It was fine two days ago. I’ve programmed another learning remote which works so I’ll make the Naim one work tomorrow. I love properly engineered stuff that I can fix myself.

1 Like

Aircon must be a good investment in the U.K. now. Apparently we are going to suffer 40c plus every 3 years from now.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for you :crossed_fingers:

It’s Naim. It will never die :wink:

2 Likes

Well done. Everyone who has an early NAC52 should do this with a learning remote just in case their original dies.

1 Like

I thought the fans were supposed to be virtually silent?

They are. “Virtually”. :wink:

1 Like

My 82 remote has similarly just stopped working - is that terminal? Mainly use it for volume control so another one has substituted … but all the same … )

Until there are six of them …

1 Like

My 82 obeys my CDX2’s remote… Resistance is Useless…!!!

The NAC82 used an RC5 protocol, so any Narcom, R-Com, or Flash will control it.

Check the batteries.

Many thanks Richard, yes tried a completely new set … having said that I didn’t “check” the replacements which had been in a drawer for a while … food for thought.

My 135s are fine … external ventilation in the hifi lobby helps.
I can’t remember when I last used my remote for the 52. I don’t have line of sight to it, so have to get up and change inputs and volume. The exercise is good for me.

I use a remote control extender so that I can operate the volume control on my 52 which isn’t in the listening room.

1 Like

Yeah … today was really hot under the roof. But at 35 plus indoor temp listening to the music is a bit uncomfortable. Nevertheless I like the sound when it’s warm… nice and rich… :+1:

Interesting findings. Tried the remote today and there was some life detected. Volume would go up, stop and back up a bit. Died after a minute of this. Swapped the battery out and same behaviour. Temp around 30deg. Some hours later temp is 26deg and remote works fine :thinking: Dry joint?

Sounds like it to me. A small Antex and a steady hand may be enough to fix this :crossed_fingers:

Tempting as that is, it’s working reliably at “Normal” temperatures so I’ll hold myself back for now. I seem to remember it happening once before 2 or 3 years ago when we had a similar heatwave here. Still, not bad for 30+ year old Naim tech.