NAP155 XS Speaker Noise

I wonder if anyone can help. I am hearing a noise in my speakers when the NAP is turned on…similar to the scratching you get when a volume potentiometer is on its way out (a sort of low level audio scratching). It sometimes occurs on start up, or when left live for a few days. You can switch the NAP off and on again and it clears or changes…perhaps the capacitors. Can anyone help please?

Sorry to read of this Grazzer. Is it possible that you could borrow another NAP so that you could confirm the fault lies in the NAP155XS?

C.

Hi, and many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I cannot try another. The NAC does not seem to affect it so I’m pretty sure its the /NAP itself…possibly capacitors?

How old is it and are there digital sources close to the amps?

is about 3 years old, but little used. I does have a Netgear Orbi satellite very close, but no ‘digital’ source I am aware of. I sits below an ND5 XS, and on top of a Flatcap XS

What does the FCXS supply power to?

Not literally, I hope!? If the boxes are stacked on top of each other, this will affect performance, although I’m not sure that explains a scratching noise.

Hi, it does sit on directly on the Flatcap XS, which supplies the NAC152XS and Stageline MM. There is then 40mmm gap and glass shelf above, which the ND5XS sits on top of, so there is some separation.

Many thanks

Just to rule out the FCXS, what happens if you put the Stageline on Aux2 and power the NAC152XS straight from the NAP155XS? Do you still get the scratchy noise?

Hi Christopher, the noise is still present even when the FCXS is switched off, ruling it out in my view.

What if you switch off the Netgear orbi satellite?

My take would be that the amps are fine - especially given that they are relatively young.

I would be worried about my cables since they act as antennas and can receive all kind of noise.

What Richard says is a good one.

I would also disconnect all the devices related to the TT since they are the most sensitive cables to receive noise. Not just switch off, entirely disconnect them.

Thank you good; great suggestions. Just for clarity TT = Turntable?

I will try all this in sequence and I am sure one of them will make a difference.

Yes.

What’s the latest?

Hi Christopher, an interesting development. I tried turning the Orbi on and off, no impact. I then withdrew the ND5XS SNAIC lead and it stopped but started again. I think the leads acting as an aerial is the best theory, but then when I took the ND5XS a second time it did not stop. The NAC155 is mounted on the ND5, which is service via a wifi antenna. I think I need to be more scientific but it is either a cable or earthing issue. I’ll keep at it and let you know. Many thanks for your help.

2 Likes

One of the reasons for using a proper rack is to put some distance between components, especially preamps.

OK, so what is the recommended separation? I now thinking it is more pre-amp related, as when the music source starts the noise instantly disappears, as if a relay clicks over. Then is there is a pause for a good amount of time, it creeps up again. This one has got me really foxed. earthing maybe?

My XS set is on a single stack of Isoblue. The NAC152XS is at the top, the NAP155XS is at the bottom.

I have a four way Grahams Hydra which supplies power with a common earth.

What happened next?