Nap250 vs 250DR on nac n 272

Or for the cost of a 250DR a 300 none DR

If the seller has opened up the amp and eye-balled the caps I would be very wary of proceeding…

The seller is an authorised Naim dealer so should know what they are doing don’t they?

But as said before by Jason, it should (have) be(en) recapped.

@HiFiman: Shall we not get there yet shall we? :grimacing:

Another question about NAP 250dr.
Can this amp also be overwhelming when used in smaller spaces like the 250-2.?Roomsize is aprox. 5m by 3,5m with open plan to rest of room “hallway” and kitchen. And in relation to NAP 200?

A NAP 250 had popped up for half te newprice and HD been upgraded to dr a Year and a half ago.

Advice needed please!

I used a 250DR in my room of 5m by 3.6m and it was perfectly fine. There is no need to be concerned.

Hi Rene

My room is an “L” shape with 4.5m and 3.5m walls and a 250 DR was no problem.

Looking at the whole thread I cant help adding the obvious comment that if you have doubts don’t make decision until you have had a chance to listen to the different amps or are completely happy with your choice.

Looking at your system, if you were buying new you wouldn’t consider anything other than a 250 DR and it will be a big step forward in scale, detail and control with a much lower noise floor. A 272/250 DR is a top Naim system. IMO if you needed to consider changing back from a 250 DR to an older model it would be to cover up a problem somewhere else.

Personally, if the 250 DR, serviced late 2018, is a good price I would just go for it.

If your room has problematic acoustics that accentuate certain bass frequencies, it is very likely that this will be accentuated more by a 250. Room size alone it not the issue. I moved my system from a larger room into one that is smaller than your, but happens to have better acoustics than the larger room I used before. I then changed my 200DR to a 250DR, and that improver the bass performance (amongst other things) considerably.

1 Like

I Think the 200 is a very musical AMP, soundstage is’t the biggest, bas is not extended but it plays Music in front of the speakers and hav real Nice flow with Music. 250-2 bas and the generel soundstage i bigger and extenden, no dening that you Can hear it’s a bigger AMP, but it miss out on musicality and flow, i take the 200 if 200 and 250-2 are the options. 250 dr is a difrent brast, it’s like a fusion of a 250-2 and a 200, take the Best from both, large soundstage, streng grip on the speakers combined with good flow and timing, it’s a musical AMP too.

For what its worth I’ve spent the last few weeks dusting off my old c.1987 CB system (last used over 10 years ago), and spent some considerable time giving them a service. Comparing the NAP135s to my 2015 '250 DR with N-272/XPS source the 250 is a little cleaner at both frequency extremes when both units are switched on from cold, but come back a little later and the gap closes to almost nothing. Worth noting that the ATC SCM40s they’re driving are a pretty easy load.

Thank you al for the responses.
Time is limited right now, small children and a garden to finish.

Will see if I can get some kind of arrangement with the dealer to buy and when not happy with the results in my living room (to much interference with room acoustics for exempel) to return.

Very tempted to give it a try finally.

Another quick question.

The PMC’s won’t be the limiting factor? As is see much more expensive speakers coupled to te NAP 250dr

@Klout10

You did change from Nap 200 to 250dr in you’re system wich is also Nac272 front ended.

What did it bring you in terms of scale/sound?

Greetings,

René

I wouldn’t see the PMC’s as a limiting factor but I’m a speakers last kind of person.

Personally with a 250DR in place I’d max out the 272 with a 555DR power supply before considering changing the speakers, even then I’d be mulling over a 300DR vs changing the speakers.

My 250DR drives a pair of PMC Twenty.5.23 — and I think this is a fairly good combo… :smiley:

I don’t want to change speaker at all, more a question if the speakers would be limiting factor and if so not getting the NAP 250dr.

Amp will be last upgrade for a while (end game for at least 5 years) buying NAC 272, xps and some decent powercables I a relative short period and so spending quite a sum of money already.

Wasn’t planning on doing it for at least a year or two, but an almost new (upgrade to dr 250)
amp is to hard to resist I’am afraid.

I’ve made the change from 200 to 250 DR, but shortly thereafter I’ve also changed my speakers from Neat Motive SX2 to the Dynaudio Special Forty …

The change to the NAP 250 DR gave more of everything; more power and drive in the low end, but also sound staging, dynamics … this can easily be the power amp that I’ll never change!

2 Likes

I don’t think the speakers would be a limiting factor at all - more that the 200 really isn’t enough for them and that the 250 is more appropriate. I used the twenty.23 with a 272/250 for a couple of weeks, having upgraded from a SuperUniti and was delighted by how well it worked together. PMCs are excellent speakers.

1 Like

How much more of everything gave the upgrade? Are we talking subtle differences or quite big steps in performance?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.