NAP300 none DR

I will be living with this 300 none DR for the foreseeable future also with a recent Naim service carried out a few months ago the DR upgrade will not be an option for me.

The way I see this the 300 ran without DR for 13 years and coincided with SL2 speakers for 7 years before SL2s ceased production so should be a perfect match.

1 Like

Standard shelves, or is there a medium in there? I ask because that’s exactly my set up on std shelves and the Burndies do touch the floor, but a length of pipe lagging cut to short lengths keeps them and other cables off the floor.

1 Like

Two medium levels one standard.

:+1:

1 Like

If you can’t ‘live’ with a standard 300, then you need to give your head a shake.

I think factoring in a service and DR upgrade is a reasonable concern.

A 300 (252/SC2|) and SL2 speakers worked really well for me. The DR that replaced was only a marginal upgrade for me. It took a 500DR to really move up a gear.

2 Likes

When the DR became available in 2015 most 300s were probably long overdue a service. Back then a service and DR was cheaper I seem to recall £1500 so most opted to have both done at the same time, when the 300 returned was it the service or DR that had the most impact?

Has anyone tried a serviced none DR against a DR’d unit.

HH, have you been able to assess the impact of having the burndies off the floor ? Mine are not and I’m missing a fraim level to achieve that. I wonder if it’s worth it

Both my burndy cables right now touch the floor on my 500dr, can’t tell any difference in sound and even lifted them up so they ended up above my rack and could see them and it made no difference, so dont stress about is what i say and certainly wouldn’t spend out on fraim levels etc just to achieve it, but just try it, like i did and see for yourself

1 Like

I meant live without the amp while it is away being DR’d if taking that route

1 Like

Congratulations. I’m convinced you would be thrilled with the results even though the NAP 300 is a non-DR. The reasoning is the 300 is a two-box, whereas the DR just adds some small components. 300 non-DR should be a big improvement over 250DR as it’s a 2-box amp vs. 1 box 250DR.

Do update the results once you’ve managed to make the comparison, especially if you still have the 250DR on board.

1 Like

Ah, I see now. Sorry about that.

Cheers, Rack.

1 Like

My 500 is one level up from the base and even with two stacks, the burndies still touch the floor. I’m using pieces of foam pipe insulation to keep them off though so you could try that first for the few pence it costs.

1 Like

Will do ryder but my 250DR is leaving on Tuesday to its new lucky owner the 300 arrives Wed/Thur next week, cannot wait and with the ongoing lock down plenty of hours to kill :grinning:

2 Likes

You are in for a pleasant surprise going from the 250dr to a non dr 300. You’ll gain additional scale and impact. I had my 300 sent away to be dr upgraded and my dealer lent me their shop demo 250dr to tie me through.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement, to the point I stopped listening to my hifi. The 250dr was rough and hard by comparison.

Needless to say the 300dr is superb.

3 Likes

Oh no! Suddenly my three 250s sound broken! :joy:

7 Likes

I used to run SL2s active with two 250dr and enjoyed this for many years, resisting the call of the nap 300.

The neat XL10s I now run really didn’t respond well to the 250dr, everyone’s experiences and ears will differ.

:rofl:

Hi, Hold off for the Dr you won’t be disappointed the non Dr is good… just Dr is more transparent. I tried both amps at home and went for the Dr version.