Nap300DR or Nap500 no dr

That’s a shame, but yes, previous upgrades were all worthwhile but the Katalyst upgrade was something of a revelation. I considered the expected alternatives at the time but the Katalyst did it for me. I’d certainly go for it again above a DR upgrade.

Personally, I felt that 500 to 500DR was a bigger upgrade than 552 to 552DR.

2 Likes

So if I do the service on 552 500, If I were to stretch to a DR on both as well, assuming I have done the Linn Katalyst, how much of an improvement is the Dr over the non DR?

Mine is serviced but not DRed.

Phil

Apologies… Was there a huge difference for you before and after? or did you buy it already serviced?

I bought it serviced. Your 500 is older than the 552 I believe, so service it and maybe DR it as the DR may only add subtle nuances but costs loads. The 552 needs servicing in a year maybe, and worth DRing. Work on your setup as the move seems to messed things up. That’s my advice.

Phil

so the big difference is by DR to the 552 more than the 500?

If you read this thread you can get more opinions.

Phil

Others have said equally that DRing the 500 has the bigger effect and it is a subtler effect on the 552.

I have no direct experience, just reporting what I have read on here over the years.

So perhaps better to upgrade leads etc, as they are all the standard ones originally supplied, except for the powerlines.

@NigelB, Oh well who can one believe if not @Simon-in-Suffolk. If @Ross’s System was ok before the move then that needs sorting out. A 2000 500 must be in need of a service soon.

Phil

Well I can only comment from my experience… ultimately it becomes a personal decision… we clearly don’t hear things the same …

1 Like

Four years ago.

1 Like

Thank you for all the above. The cost of DR according to Naim with a service is £2490 for the 552 an £4200 for the 500 inclucing service. For the power supplies the service is £560 each. So £2240 for a full service alone for the 4 pieces or £8370 for the DR and full service. This is beyond me so am planning a full service only and perhaps upgrade the leads. Any advice as to what to? I have only powerlines at the moment, and a Hi line from Klimax to the 552

I have a Superlumina IC between my NDX2 and 552. It’s pricey but well worth it, and a great upgrade over the Hiline IMO. I managed to get a discount from my dealer and traded in the Hiline.

A good decision - DRing mine would give some improvement but I am very very happy where I am. When you get the setup spot on it more than makes up for DRing a top of the range NAP/NAC. If you DR it can’t overcome the issues of a poor setup.

The Powerlines will make quite a difference along with the dedicated mains and lots of space between sensitive boxes. Cable dressing and speaker placement.

Phil

1 Like

in terms of placement, ideally all in one stack, with Power supplies at bottom, then DS, then 552 then 500 on top of the Mana rack, as I have little room

I may be able to have the PS’s separate, is this really that much better? all on a rack similar to the naim glass one

You should read the threads on this subject by searching. In a nutshell the photos you showed were far from optimal. Power supplies on right, 552, 500 heads on left 552 at top. I’m out for a few days.

Phil

1 Like

I will look carefully at this. Thanks so much

Mine is in one stack…due to space constrains…on a decent suport and it’s fine it may not be optimal but I dont have the space.
All psu’s at the bottom then nap500 then 552 then ND555 no hum…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.