Napsc

What changes were made to the NAPSC when the NAPSC2 was introduced? Is the difference significant?

1 Like

Ive got a napsc2 with my 282. It has an iec connection on it for a removable mains lead. Think the early ones were fixed.

1 Like

Apart from cosmetic changes and the detachable mains lead, a slightly bigger transformer and modified regulator board (Still 317 based) for lower noise. It’s an improvement over the earlier NAPSC.

1 Like

That’s about it Robbo!

I guess the impact these changes have depends on what you use the napsc for. In my application it switches inputs and drives the motorised pots. So, can’t imagine there will be any audible impact.
Not sure what else the napsc can be used on though.

1 Like

Yes, even in that application it can make a difference. It can be used to power a Headline too.

The NAPSC(2) is a weird little beast.
Mine powers the 282 controls too. Although not needed or even recommended as such by Naim (AFAIK), I got mine serviced at the same time the 282 got serviced. I reckoned it’s a little power supply with caps’n all so it made sense to do it in one go. The service was a clear improvement but I don’t know which part of that was from the serviced NAPSC, if any. But it certainly didn’t hurt and kept my OCD at bay.

I upgraded all the mains leads to PowerLines in a few steps, 4 in total. The last one was the on the NAPSC, after reading about good results on here. The uplift in SQ was immediate and very clear, much to my surprise, even disbelief. I don’t understand if the improvement comes from the PowerLine on the NAPSC or from the fact that the system now plays with 4 identical mains leads from the (star wired) power strip. Can’t get my head around it but the improvement is impossible to miss… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

As I posted some time last year, when I enquired with two Naim dealers (both Platinum dealers, as it happens) about servicing my NAPSC at the same time as I was sending off my 202 and 200, I was told not to bother. In fact, one of them actually had to check through his paperwork to see if servicing a NAPSC was even a thing!

Mark

I was told the same thing. But my OCD persisted. :slight_smile:
So they ordered the parts (just caps I guess) and serviced it anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for all your comments. I added the NAPSC to my NAC202 some 6 months ago and I’m not at all sure it made a difference, hence my question about the later version of the power supply.

1 Like

Here’s what I found when I added my NAPSC(2) to my 202:

New(ish) NAPSC - Hi-Fi Corner - Naim Audio - Community

Mark

The power supply in the napsc is very basic. And given its main use for a 282 it is more that fit for purpose. There is 9nly one modest capacitor in the napsc from memory. So long as it it not open circuit or shorted, itll allow the intended purpose to be fulfilled.
Ill get mine serviced when the 282 gets serviced.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.