NAS backups

Up until now I have backed up the music on my 4-bay NAS (raid 5) to a 2-bay NAS (raid 1).
What do other people use?

1. USB thumb drives
  2. HDD storage
  3. SSD storage
  4. Other …
  1. NAS to PC
  2. NAS to another NAS
  3. NAS to USB Hard Drive
  4. PC to CLOUD storage.
3 Likes

Main Back is HDD storage from USB that auto backups through the day, plus I have another HDD kept offsite that gets backed up every 3 months or so.

2 Likes

My main NAS in the house backs up to another NAS in the detached garage at regular times throughout the day. This then does a backup during the night to a cloud storage of the more important files during the night.

1 Like

NAS to WD My Passport Ultra - USB connected.
Plus I keep CD’s & copy all downloads on to 64GB now 128GB USB thumb sticks

1 Like

I keep several backups

1. Attached drive to my Mac.
  2. Two external hard drives, which I rotate, and keep one of them at my youngest daughter’s house.
  3. My NAS already has 2 copies (RAID arraty)

Real belt and braces approach for me …

1 Like

Thanks for the responses chaps - seems like the ground is well covered.
I use carbon copy to back up my Macmini and lap book to the main NAS, but have that it is unreliable in managing backing up my music from one NAS to another, so I tend to use a simple file manager for that, but it still has issues with not being able to copy some music files. I have not tried Qnap’s own software.
What do other people rely on, software wise, to manage their backups?

Synology’s included package ‘Hyper Backup’

Although it’s tempting to go down the cheap, easy route of backing up to a USB drive, an automatic backup to another NAS is a much better option in my books. If your main NAS fails, having a server installed on the backup means that it can immediately take over, so you still have immediate access to your music while you sort out the problem. Also, the backup can be fully automated (otherwise you’ll forget!) to a device in a separate location.
I have a couple if cheap USB drives with additional backups, just in case.

I rip to a single bay NAS, which mirrors to a 2 bay RAIDed NAS, this is backed up roughly monthly to a pair of USB hard drives, one kept at home and one offsite. Starting again I wouldn’t RAID the 2 bay, and might run it with just one drive.

2 Likes

When I started ripping my CDs I committed to ripping a WAV file and a “hi ish res” MP3 each time and so far I have stuck to this. Main NAS (raid +1) runs WAV and real hi res files. Copies of WAV and MP3 goes to second NAS. This is where it was supposed to stop, when I decided to make another copy to a portable drive which travels with me, so not a great idea for a back up. Interesting I rarely listen to any of my rips these days as Tidal is just great!

Oh yes MP3s are used in my car which doesn’t seem to like WAV, so ironically most of my listening is done in a compromised environment from a lower quaility format. Madness.

1 Like

I use Qnap’s backup software for weekly scheduled backup to usb drive which is always connected
I then manually backup every 3 months or so to a second usb drive kept off site
The Qnap software has been fine

1 Like

I use SyncToy to back up my NAS to an external USB drive on my PC; usually run this every day that I add more albums to the NAS. That then gets backed up to cloud storage via Backblaze, which runs permanently in the background.

Twice a week my NAS also backs itself up to Backblaze using QNAP’s own software.

1 Like

i use Segate SSD to back up my NAS, some owners have two back up’s one the store at home

1 Like

It’s taken a lot of time and money to put my digital collection together so I probably go a little OTT but I backup from home NAS to office PC (i.e. get the backup off site). Then from office PC to office NAS. I used to also backup to a second NAS at home but the drive is too small really and fills up within a couple of months… I need to get that sorted.

1 Like

Backblaze control panel doesn’t seem to see my NAS. Do you know if it’s likley to be something I’m doing wrong?

Is that easy to set up…are there any “beginners” instructions you know of, as what I’ve found on the Qnap forum all look pretty complicated?

1 Like

Good to know - I’ll be trying to crack it when I get an enclosure for my old HDDs

I’ll take a look at Backblaze … it might be a bteer option than CarbonCopy

Another vote for the qnaps own backup software if you have a qnap nas. It is easy to use and is reliable.

1 Like