Nas choice

The way I work is this…

Data on the PC (primary storage) are backed-up to the NAS

• Backup 1(a)

Music files on the NAS (primary storage) are backed-up to the PC

• Backup 1(b)

Data on the NAS (PC data and music) are sent to an incremental backup on disk 2 of the NAS

• Backup 2 (on the NAS)
    This backup disk in the NAS isn’t writable from the PC, so even if the PC gets a ransomware virus, this drive stays clean, including all versions of the backed-up files up to the time when the virus infected the PC.
    So even after a ransomware attack I can still restore clean versions of my files, albeit losing the most recent edits.

In addition to this, the data from the PC (including the backup of the music) are backed up to the offsite external SSD.

• Backup 3 (offsite)

Agree. I would also suggest staying away from any multi-disk RAID configurations. RAID is not backup; it’s more for redundancy, fail-over and high availability and it adds to the complexity of the NAS setup.

I recently migrated from a 4 bay NAS to an Audiostore black box; the NAS is setup with Raid 5. The NAS is now a backup for my music and data. Is there any benefit to dismantling the Raid?

Thanks to Andy P for the video. It was of great assistance

1 Like

Shut down the RAIDed NAS, and see if the music playback improves without the additional electrical noise on the mains and the network. If you don’t hear an improvement… well you’ve answered your question!

1 Like

Any paticular advice for a Roon ready one? No particular interest in DSD

I bought a QNAP TS451+ — a bit more expensive than other models but I felt the extra monies were worthwhile. The additional bays I am using for data management in our home network, and the extra RAM for a longer “life”. And I might do Roon in the future. I think it’a a good idea to have a careful think about the use of the NAS. Just music, or other uses too?

1 Like

You’ll have a whole load of extra storage space if you ditch it.

1 Like

I had not thought about that … just thinking about unbraiding it so that I could have individual copies of my data. But it’s worth a try…

I also have a nas wd my cloud d 3 tb for about 7 years … Your, you say it’s leaving you, how old is it?

I have this exact same setup, although now it’s purely storage as I run Roon on a Nucleus. The Nucleus runs Roon but finds the music on the QNAP.

I would buy another fanless QNAP if I wanted/needed another nas to run a UPnP server.

With an upload speed here of 300 Kb/s it would take a very long time,

1 Like

I’ve been using a Synology DS214play for a few years. Works fine, I use a pair of WD Red drives… I will offer a tip … Once a year i shut it down disconnect it take it to my garage remove the hard drives and use compressed air to blow all the dust out; off the fan etc. A lot of dust comes out hence in the garage. Can’t hurt since a build up of dust could affect the temperature.

3 Likes

I have a DS 718+ and when I opened it up recently to add moreRAM, it was full of dust so gave a good clean out and all is well. I have a good clean as something to do once a year.

2 Likes

I also have the same QNAP NAS and WD drives as HH, largely because he recommended them. Also running Asset. Very happy with it all.

(One day I will learn how to do the simple incremental backup to a portable USB drive rather than using MS Synctoy, but that’s a different story…)

Connect the drive to the front. Wait for the lights to stop flashing and a steady blue light on the nas. Push and hold the blue button for two seconds. Let go. Backup proceeds. After backup hold button for ten seconds until it beeps. Wait for flashing light to stop. Remove drive. Job done.

You’ll need to go into a simple backup menu in the nas to enable this, just a case of ticking a box.

Aha - excellent and many thanks! Can I get it just to back up music, rather than the photos I also have on the NAS?

That I don’t know. It may be possible to select which folder gets backed up.

1 Like

I’ll have go this evening. Thanks again.

I have a fairly old Synology DS215j with 2x2tb WD Red drives in running in Synology’s SHR (Raid1). Despite having this level of backup I also run regular backups to an external USB drive, mainly because it was a massive chore ripping all my CD’s and it’s not a process I would ever want to repeat! Unless you enjoy ripping CD’s, I would highly recommend having multiple backups.

Dave