NAS Vs Dedicated Music Server

Been there done that… I know what you mean!

Hi Russt, thanks. I guess the key thing I evidenced was that not all NAS, servers etc are the same… ergo one NAS type can be very different to another NAS type or server… and network performance in terms of SQ (inter frame timing consistency) is not determined by the function of the host at this level.

Without being rude , you must be the only one in every forums I know who prefer a Nas to a Melco. For the majority the differences are very far from subtle.
And there are many tekies as you who know perfectly how tweak optimally a network.

2 Likes

Not really… interesting conversations behind the scenes :wink:
Anyway veering into my professional world so not for this forum… but I know back then Naim largely nailed it with the new streamers… both from their viewpoint from emails I have and my ears :grinning:
BTW this has nothing to do with ‘network’ tweaking… but sure everybody can tinker around with that if they wish… it’s all part of the fun I guess.

The key thing is if you are happy with your own specific setup… it doesn’t matter then how it’s been designed, does it?.. I think I am right you have a first gen streamer, a NDS? It’s great you are enjoying it… it’s a fine device.

I never had a NAS before but I confirm the sound of my Melco N1Z/2 is great…When I download music bought from Qobuz in WAV format to my Melco it sounds much better than when I stream the same music with Tidal (CD quality)…so, it looks like magic…, I am very happy with my Melco…

This is probably a little at odds with S-i-S’s assessment of new gen vs legacy Naim streamers and how they are affected in relative terms by a NAS vs an audio server.

When I was using a NDS, I actually preferred the SQ from my QNAP NAS as a music server compared with my UnitiServe. Now I have a ND555 I prefer the UnitiServe over the QNAP as a server. I will admit however I have made several changes to my switch set up and streaming cables during the transition from NDS to ND555, which could have masked, or even reversed the impact from a change in server.

These things are very system dependent and there are no universal truths when it comes to servers and network set ups.

Edit: In response to Simon’s post below, I would add that I use Asset as UPnP server software on the QNAP NAS, which has a good reputation for SQ.

Yes… there is no universality on devices… and certainly different NAS types with different OS and internal drivers did ‘sound’ quite different. The same with music servers including a Melco network streamer.
The key characteristic I observed was with an Ethernet frame timing monitor I created as an adaption of a jig I had created to help Naim research into the then Tidal dropout issue… and it was more the profile of the timing consistency in the transfer bursts that I correlated to SQ.
The Netgear that sounded the most ‘natural’ to me on the first gen streamers had a specific timing profile as evidenced on my test gear, that I suspect was helped by the simplicity of the device. The worse was MinimServer running on a second gen RPi.
My motivation was to understand why different media servers sounded different on a specific streamers when connected through the same network segment… despite the actual transmitted data being identical.

1 Like

As I responded to you already several times on that matter, there are dozens of members here with an Nd555 or even Rossini, who found a great uplift using Melco over Nas.
I tried it even myself, at dealer place, comparing Melco N1h2 ( the entry level one, not the middle one I have now) vs Nas, using Nd555. It was clearly apparent on the first seconds.
As for the Unitserve, I had it. The entry level Melco was already better to it, and the Unitserve was also upgraded by a linear ps.

1 Like

Ah, the missionary zeal of the Melco owner. Have the Pearl Girls taken over the Forum?

1 Like

I know someone who deploys an intensive zeal to promote the Nas on each server threads…lol

Having a NAS is a bit like having a Mac Mini. Understandable at the outset of the streaming years - what else was there - but we know so much more now and it’s really a bodge which introduces a whole set of needless variables which can be taken care of in vastly superior ways.

2 Likes

Hi HH, have you tried one of the current generation Melco’s in your system? I didn’t intend to annoy anyone but just share my experience with how much the sound quality improved by adding the Melco compared to using the Synology NAS running Asset.

No, I’ve not tried one. My nas lives in another room so the clonking isn’t an issue. I certainly wouldn’t want it in the sitting room. I’ve no doubt it works for you: it simply amuses me to read the ‘missionary zeal’ of others and the apparent need to demonstrate some sort of superiority for having bought a Melco and the implication that non owners are missing out - that does not apply to your post of course. It’s rather like the Chord mania a while ago and the recent display of DCS adoration. All these things are wonderful until the next flavour of the month pops up. I wonder sometimes whether the Melco would be so popular if it cost the same as a nas. Somehow I doubt it.

4 Likes

Melco is close to $4K here in USA.

Regards,
Sourav

Not alone FR. I have twice trialled Melco in my system. N1A/2 and N1ZH/2. I really wanted to like them as the idea of having a single box take care of all server duties was very attractive and the build quality and componentry was so impressive, but for me, in my system, musical communication was critically compromised. I know I have weird ears and tastes and also that every system and network is different, but I prefer Unitiserve SSD and NAS here.

2 Likes

I remember how long time you were bashing audiophile switches, a bit in the same way as now. Maybe during one year.
Until you finally tried the EE8 switch and bought it.

I believe you. At least you have tried. Meni, Bart, Dark Bear, MichaelF, Bert, Ants, Peter1480, Dunc, T38.45, Nd60, Steve, …Russt now: 12 at minimum have a Melco and all preferred it to the Unitserve, Core, or Nas.
But some prefer the Uniticore , like Chriss Bell, or the Unitserve, like you.
Fortunately we are all different.

1 Like

There are, as Simon indicated, also quite a few who have said they don’t like how the Melcos sound. They really do exist: I’ve met them. I certainly have a poor opinion of their switch and if that’s the sound Melco likes, you can count me out.

I personally use a Roon Nucleus rather than a Melco…

The local files I stream from my QNAP using Asset sound pretty amazing and the server software installed (Minimserver and Bubble) so I can stream Tidal(Kazoo) and FLAC radio stations (m3u) sound pretty amazing on my SU. I’ll admit I don’t care for all the updating and effort required to keep the NAS running optimally though. If I could get a dedicated server that allows me to do the aforementioned and improve SQ I’d likely buy it.

Ah sorry, error of mine.
However, if you see my list above, there are still a lot preferring the Melco.
If you read my post 36, I wrote that there are some who prefer the Uniticore, or Unitserve. I was not extensive. Could have added Nucleus, Nas, Innuos, Vorterbox…and so on.
PS: I edited my list. You don’t figure in it anymore. 🥸

1 Like