NAT 03 - nice!

Does anyone know why they went from half box to full width? I guess as I write that, they did a universal shift to full width in the early 90s, so maybe I answered my own question.

The slimline boxes were a lot cheaper to make.

1 Like

Another question that has always puzzled me:

Why didn’t Naim source a control knob without an etched line in it. That 02 tuner would look so much smarter if it din’t have the wholly redundant line on the rotary tuning knob.

Incidentally, does anyone else remember the semi-mythical XPS-T?

That was an XPS power supply, specially adapted at the Naim factory to power the NAT01 tuner. I so wish that I had bought one for Naim to mod for me at the time

In fact, I wonder if Naim would still make me one if I got hold of a mint Olive XPS?

As an aside, I remember asking on the Forum many years ago what use I could then make of the original NAP-ST power supply for the 01. The less-than-helpful (but undeniably droll) response from - as I recall, Adam Meredith - was that it would make a suitably hefty doorstop.

The Olive XPS is totally different to the XPS2 on which the XPS-T was based. The XPS-T was made to order - no conversions of XPS2s though.

As for the NAP-ST, it could only be used to power the NAT01 head unit. The early ones had facility also power an AM head unit that never saw the light of day.

Thanks, Richard. I remembered the style and fascia of the XPS-T being the same as the NAT 01 and its corresponding NA-PST power supply, but this couldn’t be so from what you say.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that only half a dozen XPS-Ts were ever made by Naim, which would make it a very rare beast indeed.

Ah well, that’s this year’s birthday dream well and truly busted!

It was on the well-known auction site a few years ago (together with the tuner). A forum member snatched it — he might be still around… He was VERY happy with his purchase despite the high-ish price — made a huge difference apparently.

Yes, IIRC the lions share went to the States.

What’s a lion’s share of six!? :smiley:

I think about 4…

2 Likes

There is one for sale in the U.S. right now. Am I allowed to say the name of the site?

At the risk of attracting Borg references, would that have been 1 of 7 ?

1 Like

You don’t say, and I can’t guess, so we’re a bit stuck! Anyway, I suppose that it must have a different mains rating, if it’s in the US.

I need to get some sleep now.

No.

Understood. In any event it looks like it sold.

Our friend @Polarbear has an XPS-T for his NAT 01.

1 Like

Well, he’s a very lucky bear indeed!

1 Like

I’ve recently removed my NAT05 from my set up in order to accommodate a second Supercap DR to power my Superline.
Just need to decide now whether to try and squeeze it into the bedroom system (won’t be easy) or to move it on.
Pound for pound it’s one of the most capable HiFi components I’ve ever heard.

EDIT:
The decision has pretty much been made for me as the storm has snapped the mast supporting the Galaxie 23 and several elements have snapped as it sagged down onto the roof tiles.

1 Like

I am a very lucky bear indeed.

Here it is, third box down on the right tier.

It takes the Nat 01 to another level.

6 Likes

Thanks, indeed, that’s just what I needed to hear!!

I wonder why Naim don’t (or can’t) still make them - at additional cost, and to order, of course.

1 Like