NAT 03 - nice!

Doesn’t @Christopher_M have a NAT05, the older variant with a red LED, rather than a NAT03?

That’s the one I have. Can sound every bit as good as a source costing 10 times as much on the right broadcast.
Unfortunately mine is boxed right now. I bought a Supercap for my Superline leaving no room in the rack and then my G23 came down in the winds a few weeks back.

Hi Simon that is correct, but in this thread & my post in question, there was no need to get into detail.
And yes its horizontally polarised as shown in the photo, however it also receives vertical only polarised transmissions well; in my area we have a few local V only, low power & a hill in-between, I get them all without any hiss, it’s only dub rap that make them unlistenable.

That said, Ron Smith does recommend mounting his Galaxie aerials vertically if the owners principle transmitter is vertical only.

1 Like

Hi Simon, Mine is a NAT05. But a NAT03 preceded it. The Yagi pictured in the 1st reply on this thread is mine.

With a new aerial and a service at Naim which included a new tuning head, my NAT05 sounds fantastic.

In my earlier post this morning, I was just trying to say to @b-lilja that Naim recommend tuner servicing every ten years.

C.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s right, the red light Phillips.

and… sorry this is the radio geek part of me … if you didn’t t have a Balun on the aerial - into coax - the performance of the antenna would be compromised - but assuming the coax is vertical - would be a more effective compromised vertical polarised antenna - ie your coax shield is part of the antenna without a transformer/balun :grinning:

Interesting about aligning vertically - the RSGB generally recommends horizontally to avoid mains interference typically important for good stereo reception and weak signal reception - as much mains noise is vertically polarised because of the general structure of domestic mains wiring.

But in that picture - then yes you could recommend the 88-108MHz VHF antenna to be vertical - if the very close by UHF TV antenna is horizontal so they cause minimum performance robbing interaction with each other - otherwise they would need to be a lot further apart - so perhaps that is what he is referring to

Chris - ok - glad you like your NAT05. I have both - my NAT03 is out and my NAT05 in its box - I do prefer the 03 - even though it doesn’t match my other Naim equipment :slight_smile:

Though I did find the 05 on BBC Radio 3 generally preferable - but I generally listen to Radio 3 content online now using the BBC ‘hidef’ AAC feed

1 Like

And yes I agree. I’ve never seen any RS Galaxie’s mounted for V apart from that customer picture.
As I said before, in my experience they pull in V better than can be theoretically expected when mounted H

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.