NAT 05 Philips v ALPS?

What’s going on here then?

… err … ummm … der … dunno
If you tune to a station not on a preset, does it go out ??
If yes, great. But as I was told its a non-functioning ‘leftover’ & I’ve lived with it that way for over 10 years, I shall leave it as-is.
Meanwhile I’m needed to drive the horses for a hunter gathering expedition to the vast forests of Wait

Yes, the light goes out, as I’d expect. And yes, it needs dusting - before anyone points it out!

Mike, I checked with R&D and the control software was the same regardless of whether a Philips or ALPS head. Therefore, they reckon your preset LED should light up. If you have no presets programmed then it should still light up when press is selected but will show two dashes.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, seems like I have a dickie preset light & the info I was given long ago was incorrect. No probs, hardly life & death.

1 Like

Affirmed here on NAT05XS— dark is dark, except for logo. And each of the four indicators light when appropriate.

Appreciating the thoughtful design and operation.

Nick

Blimey, great price! If someone could point me to an 05 at less than £200 I’d snap it up.

Unfortunately, now it looks like FM will not be switched off, secondhand FM tuner prices have firmed up a bit lately.

Yes most NAT 05s seem to be going in the £350 to £450 price range at the moment,

Yeah; sad about that. :roll_eyes:

One handy thing about the NAT05 of any vintage is that it has a mono button. (I expect other Naim tuners have it too). This allows you to set the balance with, say, a newsreader or weather forecaster in mono.

I’m not sure if I have any mono records or CDs.

Useful to me anyway.

I find the mono button is only required in my listening location on odd occasions, the auto-mono on weak stations works really well. I listen to a weekly late night jazz program from a low power station thats 33km distant & by rights I should not be able to, but thanks to my Ron Smith G14 & the NAT-05 which is not as insensitive as the myths would have you believe. It flicks between mono & stereo & despite this has only low level hiss, but I use the mono button

I just got my 05 XS tuner today. Just wondering if anyone has tried connecting a SC regardless of DR or non DR or can it even accept SC or HC only?

Any surprises?

Adding a PSU does improved things a little, but not to the value & feature/functions of a SC.

I always imagined it was designed with a FCXS in mind.

Anyway, after a day or so, how does it sound?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.