Native FLAC via iRadio?

Great! :slight_smile:

I recently figured out you can get a static ffmpeg build for ARM which is updated very frequently here: John Van Sickle - FFmpeg Static Builds

This is the ffmpeg I’m using on my PI (ARM) and on the Cloud instances (x86).

I use the Azul JRE, but that shouldn’t make a difference. You can find it here: Zulu

1 Like

Hello Kurt, On my 272 the radio stations, for instance Free Music Radio onlusten work when I enter 33:9000 instead 33:9001.
Hoe is that possible?

You scared me, but that’s impossible :slight_smile:

I just did the test myself to be sure. When I connect to http://158.101.168.33:9001/free_music_radio, it doesn’t work and I get the following in the log file:
As you can see, the request is picked up by the MonitorHandler, for which this URL is not a valid one.

When I connect to http://158.101.168.33:9000/free_music_radio, the music plays. Following is reported in the logfile when I did a 30" test:
The request is picked up by the RequestHandler. As this is a valid request, the OggDecoder gets started, taking care of the transcoding from OggFlac > WAV.

You can easely test this yourself by using the above mentioned URLs in a browser, or another player like VLC or Windows Media Player for example.

In many cases, one can just simply install ffmpeg, I have ver 4.1.8 but that site you linked may update them more frequently.

sudo apt install ffmpeg

Initially, I installed ffmpeg using sudo apt install ffmpeg, but than figured out that the ffmpeg package is not updated very frequently.

I just added following HD stations to the list (http://158.101.168.33:9001/fwp/stations):

• Sector 10s
  • Sector Space
  • Sector Progressive
  • Sector Classical
  • City Radio
  • PureClassix Radio
  • H2O Radio
  • EasyRadio
  • Riverside Radio
  • Super Stereo 5
  • Super Stereo 6

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Added following stations:

• Bias Radio (24b/48kHz)
  • ZAP! FM (16b/48kHz)
1 Like

Hi Kurt, just found this thread. I’d like to say thanks for this work. Just took less than a minute to add some of the stations to my 272 and all working well.

1 Like

Thanks! Enjoy the music! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Added 2 HD stations:

• Dance Wave
  • Dance Wave Retro!

Full station list here: http://158.101.168.33:9001/fwp/stations

Added following HD stations:

• Radio Haugaland (24 bit / 48 kHz)
  • Mother Earth Radio Instrumental (24 bit / 96 kHz)
  • Mother Earth Radio Klassik (24 bit / 96 kHz)

Full station list here:

2 Likes

Just an FYI, I’ve been running Kurt’s cloud solution during the days while working and for the last few days have been getting drops and buffering. When I switch over to Minimserver/upnp the stations play fine. Not sure what’s going on.

Strange… With what radio station do you’ve the problem? Is it still the case?

Recently I updated the FWP instances (7.2) running on a free Oracle Cloud instance in Phoenix and Frankfurt to the latest version (7.6). Therefore, I had to reboot the FWP instances. The intermediate versions have been tested at home before deploying them in Frankfurt and Phoenix.

This update is mainly a “cosmetic” update. I enhanced the source code, and fixed some minor minor things left and right. However, I didn’t touch the sound processing bits, so the sound experience is similar.

This actually started as a challenge to get the HD internet radio streams on my Gen 1 devices. After all, I’m quite amazed FWP had an uptime of 120 days, 20 listening hours/day, without any issue, despite several efforts to hack it. Glad to see people enjoy this, and just like me, can give their device a second life.

As this is an open source project, you can find everything here: FWP Project. This also contains a prebuilt jar you just can download and replace the one you are currently using. So, you don’t have to build the project yourself. This also lists the fixes and improvements from 7.2 > 7.6.

If you’ve any questions, drop me an email, or contact me via this forum.

2 Likes

It’s with all the RP stations and JB Radio. It did it again yesterday. When I switch over to minimserver upnp lossless stations they don’t drop out so I don’t think it was the station in this case.

PS - just switched on RP main and it’s doing it immediately. Never had an issue before this.

I just tried http://129.146.133.23:9000/radio_paradise_main from Belgium and it’s playing fine. Strange that you’ve drop-outs as you’re just around the corner.

I left it playing while I was out for a couple hours and it wasn’t playing when I returned just now. I leave it on for the dogs and it’s never missed a beat before this. The problem might be on my side but I don’t know where to start looking.

Just started it up again and no drop outs as of yet.

Ok, it’s dropping out again. RP main on the minimserver upnp side of the house is streaming fine.

It’s not normal you’ve drop-outs as you’re not even 10 miles away from our data center where FWP is running, and RP being in the US as well. So, latency should/is not an issue. I also see some people listening to RP on the Frankfurt instance, not reporting issues.

During dinner I listened to the RP station in Phoenix via a wireless connected Mu-so Qb (gen 1). Although Frankfurt is better for me, I didn’t have any drop-outs.

Have you reset your router/modem recently? I came across some connection issues, not related to FWP, which were fixed after rebooting the router. Since then I restart the router every night (with a basic 3$ clock).

Just got home. Listening now will report if any dropouts. It’s probably something on my end. I’ll reset the network again just in case.