Native Tidal v Naim Tidal

I am loving my Tidal but I wish the Naim version was able to work better. The native version of Tidal works better than Naims version. If Spotify can work with multiple devices why can’t Naim make there App work more fluidly with other applications?

1 Like

When you play Spotify into a streamer (not only Naim) you use Spotify Connect, which allows you to control everything from the Spotify app. This option is not available for Tidal, so Naim developed their own in-app implementation instead.

If you have an Airplay or Chromecast enabled streamer, you can control this from within the Tidal app in a similar way to Spotify Connect if you prefer, although on more revealing Naim separates systems this may not sound as good.

1 Like

I think you are wrong to assume its Naim, probably more what Tidal are allowing Naim to do in terms of integration. I have lost count on the number of times Tidal has stopped working, Naim get blamed on the forum, only to find that Tidal had made changes without consulting users.

2 Likes

I use Tidal through Naim and find it works really well. If there are any problems the it is usually either an issue with Tidal servers or with internet connection

2 Likes

I’m new to streaming with Naim, my last device was a Ruark R2 with Spotify connect which the Muso replaced. I have a Muso V1. Presently I don’t use Airplay ( hoping to add a iPad soon ) so that might change. I’m looking forward to trying Tidal with that. I hear you that Tidal most probably are not sharing enough with Naim to integrate with them more.
I also use an Audio Pro t3 with Tidal, so I see the differences between the systems using bluetooth. Im skeptical currently.

If there are any particular features you feel are missing in the Naim app which you see in Tidal, you should feed the info back to Naim. For example, the My Mix feature is not accessible in the Naim app, and some other third party apps too. Some people also report different search results occasionally.

2 Likes

I have got the polar opposite problem going on! Naim app works great from iPad, not from android phone.
Tidal app works from neither. 1 out of 4 aint bad but no star prizes just at the mo…

If Naim could see your listening history with what you’ve played in Tidal that would be good. I’ll pass that one on to them…

1 Like

Oh this was a surprise but in a way not. We have Tidal hi fi quality running on many devices. We observe that the version we hear within the built in Naim Muso link is lack lustre. Thin and just not normal.

We have cross checked by playing the Tidal from a Tv app- Netflix or Amazon Prime and were surprised to observe it was better.we also have played some UTube music tracks and were even more surprised it was better. In all cases the feed to the Naim was HDMI From the Tv Our internet connection to the Naim is Ethernet cat 6A and we have high speed fibre… only when reading these posts did I realise that what we were hearing was possibly attributed to the Tidal within the Muso Have not tried the chromecast route yet.

One thing you should check periodically is that Tidal is set to HiFi quality in any app (Naim, Tidal etc.) you use. I’ve seen the quality set to a lower level after a firmware or app update in the past, and Tidal are happy to continue charging you double for a lossless service when only feeding you a lossy stream.
Chances are this will not solve your issue, but still something to be aware of.

Yes this happened to me once in the past on on of my Meridian set-ups. I had no idea at the time how it occurred.

I will check this on the Muso.

Thanks Gus i have been on to Tidal about this but not resolved yet, weird thing is my flashy 2019 phone doesn’t work but old 2014 iPad does!

Agreed that Tidal through the Naim app is painful. I have Roon and now use Tidal through Roon. The Roon - Tidal integration is excellent. If I had to rely on the Naim app for Tidal, I would probably discontinue the service.

1 Like

Can you explain what Roon is?

1 Like

Roon will revolutionise the way you listen to music! It will improve your sex life! It will take four inches off your waistline! It’s a miracle! It will cost you quite a lot for something you don’t need!! Ker-ching!!

1 Like

Nope. It’s just software that works and is user friendly. It’s an easy google or alternatively there are threads on this forum chock full of info on it.

1 Like

Roon doesn’t really cost that much, $10 (US) a month, most people spend way more than that on coffee.

I used to buy a couple of CD’s a month, the cost of Tidal and Roon is about the same.

Its also relative to how much you use it, if you listen to your hi-fi once a week, don’t bother, if your going to use it every day - go for it.

Roon is brilliant by the way.

2 Likes

I’m using the bubble app on my NAS to stream Tidal and it sounds excellent. It requires an app for control but the SQ is worth it for me.

1 Like

…I use Tidal on the NAIM app all the time and do not have any issue all. When traveling or in work, with headphones, I use the TIDAL app on a Mac air and that works just fine as well. I can find and play albums from both sources with ease with no issues.

1 Like

I am still using an iPod touch so it’s probably not surprising the experience is what it is, clearly the app is not designed for such use! :grin: iPad mini 6 will transform the experience.