NBL crossover service?

My NBLs are from 2001. Read somewhere that people have serviced their crossovers. Would my NBLs benefit from a cross-over service? If so, why?

Because electrolytic capacitors have a finite lifespan and Naim did use them in all their crossovers. Having said that, they are much less stressed than they are in an amplifier. Frankly, in terms of the components used, Naim’s passive crossovers are very ordinary and a better solution would be to build electrically identical replacements, but using better components - then you could choose not to use any electrolytic capacitors and they’ll never need servicing again.

2 Likes

It was always my understanding that Naim uses electrolytic capacitors as they sound better than the alternatives. Therefore, I would have them serviced to the exact same specification.
I run my NBL’s actively and recently had the Snaxo 3-6-2 serviced by Naim.

Ok, the response you have received is a stock marketing response and unrelated to any technical understanding. The reality is that Naim use basic film capacitors in series and electrolytic in parallel. This has nothing to do with ‘best sound’ as such, but fits with the belief that parallel components are less important than those in series. The whole thing is a justification of minimum expenditure rather than ‘best as’ application. All of this is well recognised and even. Aim must realise that they give passive crossover design the minimum of commitment. Even DBL crossovers are distinctly prosaic in their build.

2 Likes

Aren’t all passive crossovers similar in their build quality? I mean, they’re all pretty basic electrical engineering using capacitors and resistors and inserting anything fancy such as chips or IC’s doesn’t necessarily make them work any better.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.