NBL Upgrade?

Well spotted James you are correct!

1 Like

Yup, he used NBLs at home.

They could work well in that position, specially with glass just behind ?

Mais oui FR … they worked superbly well as do the Titans in the same position. In fact in my previous house they were much too close to the corners of the room according to the recommendations and again they worked very well indeed … just a case in point sometimes you can get away with breaking with perceived ideas on boundary placement.

2 Likes

My NBLs still sound wonderful active with Nap 250-2s and Nac 52. Hard to find better speakers for near wall placement without spending $25K in the US. Toe -in is required to achieve best bass response in my room.

A long shot perhaps but TomTom do SBL and SL2 grills. Might be worth dropping him a line to see if he can help? From memory the NBL grills are a very different design to the other Ibbles…

1 Like

My NBLs responded well to toeing them in. If you try it, don’t forget to install the transit screws and wear hard-toed shoes to avoid spiking your toenail. Don’t ask me why I know that.

1 Like

Ouch, I’m trying to cover both big toes at the moment. Sympathies.

How often do you adjust your SL2s?
e.g. tighten up the spikes, re-level the speaker, etc?

(Sorry for thread drift).

I generally check bolt tightness around once a year but I haven’t taken moved them and re-done the setup for a good couple of years.

1 Like

It ought to be possible to get the spec for the fabric from Naim Audio, particularly since it’s long been out of production. It would be good if the assembly drawings could be made available as .pdf files on the website.

The only info I have on the grilles is about the rubber rings, which I must have copied from the forum and stored away just in case. I probably copied it from @NeilS, who seems to be the source of all sorts of useful internal info! But to bring it back to the fore, here’s what I have:

Nitrile Cord, 4mm 1320mm

Nitrile Cord, 5.7mm 1220mm

The lengths are per speaker. The thinner one is sewn into the hem of the grille & the thicker one sits around on top, if that makes sense. Each cord is butted together using Loctite 406.

1 Like

IIRC, the fabric should be long lasting. It’s the rubber rings that break down with age and usually need replacement. If you can get the rubber then it shouldn’t be too difficult to effect a repair.

Richard, that is what I struggled with finding is the rubber ring. I found elastic ones that I tried but couldn’t ever get them to fit right and looked horrible hanging off the front of the speaker. I’ve had them off for a while now. More than anything it would be a good deterrent for the little ones!

Look for rubber O-ring cord. RS sell it in various thicknesses, although you may have to spring for a whole roll.

It seems there are on-line sellers who sell per metre off the roll. @Katmaimatt could perform a search for nitrile cord.

1 Like

I got the rings from eBay well the rubber pipe anyhow. You glue them with super glue and touch wood after a fair few months they are just fine

1 Like

To be fair I was tempted to just elasticate the material and use the thicker chord to tidy it up I reckon that would work

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.