NBLs with 2 x 250s

Hello,
I intend to run my NBLs active, they are currently passive - I just need to source another olive 250 of the same vintage to go active. However, that means I’m currently running passive with 1 NAP 250. The other NAP 250 is switched off.

It seems I can technically run 1 channel of one 250 for left speaker and 1 channel of the other 250 for the right speaker. It would be done by plugging into two separate 4 pin outputs of the Hicap. It seems I should get the benefit of the 250 power supplies dedicated to each speaker.

I know its not a recommended route and is a temporary measure until I source another 250. My question is:

1. Will it damage the 250s only having 1 channel driven? - the unused channel will still get the signal, but no speaker cable will be connected to it.
  2. Do I need to source some NAP 135 4pin to XLR cables to stop the signal going into the 250 for the unused channel?

Thanks in advance

Cam

This should work, and I can’t see how any damage should occur. Just use the supplied DIN-XLRs. If you’re worried though then do run it past Naim.

Thanks Richard,
That’s reassuring, I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow

That made a huge difference! I spent all of yesterday making my way through Curtis Mayfield and Grace Jones back catalogues, with a bit of 808 state. It’s so much more punchy and dynamic.
I remember seeing somewhere that 1 X 250 was the minimum for NBLs, but off the back of this I’d say that 1x 250 results in a fairly compromised system with NBLs. I can see why 135s are so revered , and also ups the ante on sourcing another 250 for active!

1 Like

Using two stereo amps in the ‘pseudo-monoblock’ configuration are almost always better than using a single stereo amp, driving both channels (the exception is when the amps are not tonally similar). As you have seen, you are getting closer to a pair of NAP135s. I actually have compared 2x250 (mono) with 2x135, and the latter are definitely even better-for a variety of reasons. But I would say that the 250s so driven are closer to 135s than they are to their conventional stereo configuration.
Not suprisingly, using a pair of single-channel only NAP500s is also very much better sounding then running both channels of the 500.

The 2x 250s in mono, took a little of the shine off when I got my 3rd 250 for active with a snaxo. It is better, but just not to the same degree as I’d imagined. I’m in Australia, and 135s are pretty rare in these parts. The next change is probably selling all the 250s , hicap and snaxo, and going with a 300 dr.

By far, I preferred active 250’s into my NBL’s over a 300, albeit non-DR’d.
Think very carefully before selling the 3 x 250’s for a single 300.

That’s interesting @Blythe, so maybe upgrade the 82 to a 52, or an xps on the nd5xs ?
I have a hipcap dr on the olive snaxo and two olive hipcaps on the 82. Supercaps are also few and far between. What are you running?

I believe at the time that I went from passive to active, I was running a CDX2/XPS2, 252/Supercap, 250, NBL’s.
Adding the SNAXO/Supercap/ +2 more 250’s was an eye opener.
I actually had a blind, home-test comparing a 300 Vs the active 250’s.
Not knowing if I was listening to active 250’s or a passive 300, my dealer did an A/B comparison.
Within seconds of me hearing A/B I knew I preferred B even though A was clearly better than my passive 250.
B turned out to be the active 250 setup.
It’s so good, I’ve barely changed anything since, apart from I upgraded to CDS3 and more recently turned to streaming. (Plus I’ve always had my LP12 for vinyl).
My 250’s and Supercap are all Olive.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.