NCD 555 PS PSU Vs NDX2 + power supplie

Does the quality of a ripped CD depend on the quality of the CD player?

Now you’ve gone and done it :see_no_evil: :joy:

3 Likes

It depends on the quality of the CD ripper and the software.
DB Poweramp is a good and cheap way to do Accurate CD ripping.

Auralic have recommended that a not too expensive cd ripper used with a decent low noise psu. I think they cited pioneer and a couple of computer brands.
I personally use an expensive Melco with psu.

1 Like

DB poweramp and melco d100 as ripper has very good results!

1 Like

I wouldn’t completely agree with that statement and suggest it will still depend greatly on each component being at its best. I had a node running and Ndac and 555DR power supply being fed by a Naim Core and on balance I would say the CDP555 was still better than the Node/Core as a rip combination. Inserting an ND555 changed this and now the rips are better than streaming or the CD player, so I still suggest the source first rule is in play!

Nd555 is a beast - even with one psu only :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Never heard a Node,but it applies to NDX and NDS,in my experience.
Rips are better than streaming in my experience also :+1:

I have been using a ND555 for several years but had couple of problems my dealer loaned me a NDS and NDX2 using my 555ps the ND555 is the best by a country mile.

I thought the NDX2 was very very good at its price point.

1 Like

Rips are slightly better, but with PN switch streaming is very good.
Never heard a cd555 but when I compared cdx /XPs against hdx /nDAC/XPs the latter were superior to my ears.

1 Like

cheers. Do you recomend the Unity Core?

1 Like

Yes that’s a great ripper ! :+1:

I have no direct experience of streamers but do own a CD555 with dual PS555 DR’s. I think how you listen to music and the size of your CD collection needs to also be considered. I have two thousand CD’s and also appreciate the whole ritual of physical media, deciding what to play and loading it, in addition to owning the album version that I want are important. I appreciate depending on what you have, you could rip and stream but still not the ritual I want when listening. As for sound quality, I would guess your whole system will determine this, but for me, the sound is revealing whilst never fatiguing, no matter what genre I play, system just sounds fully engaging with a muscular presence and provides me with everything my ears are going to hear!

1 Like

For me ,when hearing how much better streamed ripped CD’s sounded,I had no problem giving up the CD555.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.