ND5 XS 2 and a Uniti Core

Personally I’d suggest using XLD instead of iTunes ripping engine as XLD references the AccurateRIP database online to ensure a consistent result whereas iTunes does NOT do any error checking or correction.

1 Like

Yes, indeed I have a Core because I don’t like iTunes, but the OP is new to this, so trying to avoid overload of information for him. Also, being in Australia, most download sites won’t work for him unfortunately.

2 Likes

Dear Mr.M,

I will give this a go right now. Folders have been set as advised, a logical path. I will down load my first AIFF File and see how it goes. I maybe purchasing my NDX5 SX 2 sooner than I thought.

Please everybody, keep the advise coming. I will look further into Roon when I purchase the NAIM NDX5 SX 2.

The new motorbike can wait :smiley:

Warm regards,

Paul.

1 Like

In terms of Hi Res downloads I think your main issue is geography in that Australia and New Zealand have limited licensing of content vs say UK or US. HD Tracks should give you some options for mainstream content, you could also like at places like nativedsd, bluecoastmusic or channel classics for decent classical recordings some of which are free reference tracks you can use to get a feel of what you enjoy the most and what gives you the most control from a library perspective.

Note from a Mac you can stream directly to the ND5 using Airplay, you don’t need an optical S/PDIF connection between the Mac and the ND5, on your Mac just open the audio control panel in System Preferences and select the ND5 as the output device. This works really well and the only limitation is it only supports up to 16/44.1

If you want to playback software decoded MQA files from the Tidal desktop app then you would need to connect the Mac to the ND5 using optical S/PDIF, this will get you to playback of a file at 24/96, it won’t go up to 24/192 using the desktop app and software decode however. If you want a better quality connection you could also consider a USB to S/PDIF convertor however the optical approach is sound and gives good results, I’ve done the same thing myself however in my case now having Qobuz streaming don’t need it anymore.
You could also look at Audirvana as a player and library tool, think of it as a better version of an app like iTunes. You can try it for free anyway and see if it meets your needs, this can be a player/controller for your local library and also integrates to other online services which is nice. You can also output from Audirvana over optical S/PDIF as you can with Tidal desktop app.

1 Like

Curious if you use the BNC S/PDIF output on your Uniti Core to connect to your streamer? I liked the fact it had that option as relying on Ethernet and all the typical noise challenges it brings is a tricky one to get right. Unless you have dedicated, optimised data connections like you get on say a Melco server, the BNC path seemed to be preferable. Interested to hear your experiences here.

1 Like

I tried the BNC output with a few cables including Naim DC1. Initially i preferred the sound. However, after installing a Cisco switch i preferred the ethernet connection with Melco ethernet cables. You also retain the screen image with ethernet, not available with Spdif.

3 Likes

I haven’t actually tried that as the Core is in my office/media room and the main system is in the lounge. So everything is connected through a Cat 6 Ethernet system. That was the set up when I had my Nova in the main system, but it’s now in the office with the NDX2/SN2 in the lounge. I asked my dealer about this when we set up the new system and he didn’t feel there would be any advantage in moving the Core next to the NDX2 with the S/PDIF, so I still haven’t tried it.

We had an interesting discussion about noise infiltration and how that typically isn’t so much of an issue in New Zealand due to cleaner power supply and less interference.

Having said that, I moved from streaming from the Mac to the Core to separate the computer systems from the audio system and to simplify the user interface. Which is interesting itself, as many under value the Core and invest heavily in other areas of isolation but run NAS and computer systems.

3 Likes

I have given up on the German site as I can not read what they are trying to tell me and have been able to setup an account at the UK site. I plan for now to download an AIFF file. Though I do not know what resolution a USB memory stick can handle. May I please be advised?

Warm regards,

Paul in Oz.

The USB drive can store whatever you put on it, it doesn’t have a limitation in terms of the file format. Note when formatting a USB storage device for connection directly to the Naim streamer you have to format the drive using one of the following formats:

NTFS - Windows users
HFS - Apple users
FAT32 - Useful if you’ll be moving the drive between Mac and Windows hosts

Given you seem to have Apple hardware you’d probably be best using HFS, this is what I use and have no issues between my Mac’s and ND5.

PCM formats (WAV/AIFF/FLAC), the ND5 should play anything up to 24/384
DSD you’re ok at 64 or 128Fs (DoP - DSD over PCM)

It’s worth noting that more isn’t necessarily better so download some samples/examples and experiment with some listening tests. There are some very good 16/44.1 recordings that
can sound excellent in the right system that is setup well.

2 Likes

This is confusing. I thought more would be better. Though artists bring 24/96 in TRUE AUDIO disks. I was trying to decide between Hotel California 24/96 and 24/192. Is it possible to purchase the same track in both formats and play them on the iMac? I may need software to do this? Or is iTunes capable of playing these formats please?

Paul in Oz. Off to be soon.

Personally I think it’s subjective, hence my comment about enjoyment of recordings at 16/44.1 :slight_smile:
It’s something of a mixed bag depending on source and mastering for example and in some cases what DSD master was used. As with most things in life there are good and bad Hi Res files/recordings as well.
Hotel Californian is a go to reference album, you should bare in mind the system overall. You’ll probably find your speakers become a limiting factor for example, however both the 96 and 192 versions will sound excellent, I find my system (including my ears) don’t gain much enjoyment beyond 24/96, namely I struggle to see much experience gain for the extra cost. It’s subjective so maybe download some free samples at different resolutions and do some experiments, get your Wife to playback files to blind test and see what you feel you like the most, you may find in doing so that more resolution doesn’t necessarily equate to more
enjoyment!
You could also check out the Neil Young archive for some source material to explore, https://neilyoungarchives.com/

1 Like

Good night everyone.

No doubt I will be back at 3am EST Oz time :smiley:

A very bigs thanks to all those involved in guiding me through the HIRes file situation and streamers and USB connections.

Warm regards,

Paul in Oz.

1 Like

I’d certainly encourage you to explore some contemporary DSD masters of classical and jazz for reference, to my ears some of those recordings sound breath taking. The old classics lime Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin and so forth are remastered from 1/4 inch analogue tape so the source has good headroom to create very nice Hi Res versions.
You’ll find a lot of modern releases center around 24/48 which I think is a good balance between resolution and experience and file size. Going higher beyond that is down to personal taste and experimentation and part of your personal journey and enjoyment!
I’ve heard some very nice DSD recordings from reel to reel master copies for example as well as modern live records direct to DSD that sound amazing. The fun part is your target Naim kit supports all those discovery paths.

1 Like

Good morning from Oz. I have been doing some research this morning and came across this and would like to hear your opinions on what is said in this article about DSD and PCM.

If the above article is true? If I read correctly. I mights as well stream tracks from iTunes Apple Music and be happy with that and also spin discs. Or is this chap pushing his own wheelbarrow?

Good Morning from Oz.

Paul.

I do recall reading this myself at some point in the past! Yes, a lot of what it explains is true and based on credible information. I alluded to similar conclusions myself on this thread as I pointed out that even high resolution recordings can be bad or be worse than other versions of the same recording. I think with this topic it mostly comes down to what you personally discover and enjoy, I certainly wouldn’t obsess over having only 24/192 versions of recordings you like, it’ll depend a lot on the source which is why some of the more enjoyable and popular recordings available are from many decades ago when recording in general was simpler and done with fewer takes. I’ve found some one pass recording direct to DSD (using Merging Horus DSD recorders) of accoustic guitar and chamber music and the listening experience of those recordings is quite special. If had similar positive listening of digital DSD transfers of open reel recordings which themselves are essentially copies of the studio master tapes.
I think here there is always a delicate balance between pursuit of perfection and pursuit of listening enjoyment. I have a Chord Mojo/Poly portable DAC/Streamer and custom fit In Ear Monitors and I can often find myself listening to that for hours and at 16/44.1 resolution in many cases and leave that listening session feeling rewarded. You are also part of the system of any listening experience so even a very high end system can sound mind blowing go some and somewhat shouty to others, you’ll find this at audio trade shows and events where you can sit in wonderment in front of a system that costs more than a 4 bed semi and still leave feeling it didn’t press your buttons.
My advice is keep an open mind and enjoy the experimentation along with the ease and flexibilty of the new kit you are considering adding to your system. I’ve lived with Naim streamkng products for many years and still return for more. I also have Chord Electronics, iFi, Arcam and Sonos and many other products that do the same job as something like an ND5 XS 2 but somehow do it a tiny bit different. Take a listen to a Chord Dave through your favourite headphones for example and you’ll get my point!
I’d not by put off by articles like the one you reference, whilst it makes valid points every listening experience is personal and you can have a lot of enjoyment along the way.

1 Like

Thank you Mr. M,

It has given me a new take on music files. Bigger is not always better. It does convince me know to rip my discs bit perfect to a drive or Core when I can. A number of my CDs are in cardboard sleeves which I believe will scratch the CD surface over time.

I may still purchase CDs and rip them straight away. Purchase FLAC files and keep my Apple Music account. I am now starting think my CD player purchase may have been a rash decision. I should have been thinking of a streamer and Core all along. 16/44.1 is here to stay.

Decision made, no regrets.

Warm regards,

Paul in Oz.

Hi Paul,

I have been reading your ‘discovery’ journey with interest as I have been through a recent review of my system.

18 months ago I started to consider streaming as a replacement / augmentation option for my CD collection & high-end CD transports and for listening also to internet radio. My car has a media drive for ripping CDs to and can access streaming accounts directly - and that is what triggered my interest.

I bought firstly a cheap but good Yamaha streamer with its own DAC and a secondhand Synology NAS (this has had issues with failing drives and a noisy fan). I quickly moved up to a Linn Majik DS streamer which is at a similar level to the ND5 XS2, although equivalent in quality to the ND5 the Majik was clinical in it’s presentation via it’s own DAC.

I was lucky in December and found a nearly new ND5 XS2 via a certain auction site, and I cycled the Majik back via the same process, which cost me just a few hundred pounds net. A fortnight ago I bought an ex-demo Uniti Core and I have now configured that and re-ripped over 100 CD’s already - effortlessly compared with faffing around with separate computer components and software (although Apple can make this easier than PC). I have already got the same collection ripped to USB and the NAS using my MacBook and DB Poweramp software.

I have sold off my CD transports and players (which I had acquired, some of cheaply as backups / spares),

So now I have reduced my box count, in this area at least.

If you only want to rip and play CD’s or downloaded HD files you could start with just a Core and a mid priced non-Naim DAC, or complimented with a secondhand nDAC, or choose a Zen Mini Mk3 with it’s own on board DAC and additional streaming features.

The ND5 XS2 is very flexible front-end for internet radio, internet streaming, Local streaming (e.g from Core or NAS), chromecast, AirPlay and it can act as a Roon endpoint, plus the listening and build quality is great. So go for that when you need those features.

I am very pleased with my ND5 XS2 and Core choice and combination, although having caught ‘upgradeitis’ I am trialling other products and the means of integrating them with the ND5 and Core and the rest of my (non-Naim) system.

These would slot in nicely with your XS2 and your CD5 is also a great product.

Cheers
T-elmi

2 Likes

Well I have spent about $9,000 AUD.

1. CD5 XS
  2. Flatcap
  3. HiLine cable.
  4. I could not afford three Power Lines so purchased another cable the recommended that was ordered in when they ran short of Power Lines. I am not sure what it is, though they cost $500 AUD each which I paid $400 AUD.
  5. Plus a set of very nice headphones, $1,245.

Now is the wait to see if they arrive before next Friday or after. I will be in Melbourne on a medical appointment and could drop in to pick up the gear if it is ready. If not, I will patiently await its arrival by carrier.

It is done.

Time for a rest, enjoy some music, as I save for a streamer and another HiLine.

Thank you everyone. Your inputs are gratefully appreciated.

Warm regards,

Paul.

CD is still a very cost effective way to find and own music. I also still use my CD player as a transport as I like the limitations, same with vinyl which I collect and listen to on another system. I’ve had my CD5XS for some years now and always enjoyed how it sounds, it’s
now a transport in to the ND5 XS 2 mainly for reduced cabling as I can use a single Hi-Line DIN interconnect (reused the one I originally got for the CD player). I’ve always tended to use XLD for ripping on a Mac and found it works well.

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes