ND5 XS 2 - First Week/Comparison to BlueSound Node

I would enthusiastically recommend a Node to anyone that is considering adding a streamer into their system. In my opinion, it does everything you want a modern streamer to do and punches way above it’s weight for the price.

Also, as others have commented, I haven’t always found that higher cost equates to a material improvement which one of the reasons I sat on the fence for so long. In this case, to my ears, this change was a win.

5 Likes

I must say you have a nicely balanced system, I’m sure it’s sounding wonderful!

In both cases, with the Node and the ND5 XS 2, the nDAC added dynamics and detail and just made my system more musical. I think this is remarkable considering that my nDAC is almost 10 years older the the ND5 XS 2, which seems like a few lifetimes in the digital world.

I would also add that while pairing the nDAC to the Node was definitely a step up in my system, adding the ND5 XS 2 was a considerably larger improvement. I’m not sure if this was due to some sort of synergy in the Naim gear but it was more a 1 + 1 = 3 kinda move.

4 Likes

Many thanks for your reply, my plan originally was to move on to a 282 but I wonder if the ndac maybe worth pursuing first, maybe better vfm.

For vfm a s/h nDAC is hard to beat. However, you have 2 sources. An nDAC obviously won’t help your LP12, but a different preamp might.

I’d also say that a naked ND5XS2 will sound a good deal better through 82-HC-250 (what I use with it in Tasmania) than through the 202/200, esp with those speakers.

If the 282 cost looks excessive (and I sympathise with that view), olive 82 and serviced 250 are a lot cheaper than a 282/250DR.

3 Likes

The -2 is worse, it has no display!

For me that’s a good thing. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Interesting discussion… Also on the fence to upgrade from a Node (amp = Nait XS2) … what worries me a bit is that I do want to upgrade but I was not convinced at the store…

Even an entry level cd5si sounded seriously more lively and in-depth on the same setup with more detail than the streaming counterpart (tried both Tidal and Quboz in various hires)… And compared to my Node setup at home I did not feel like a huge jump in SQ/musicality. I was disappointed really… what to do?

Buying an Nd5Xs2 AND the nDAC is too much for what I am willing to spend for now…

4 Likes

If you’re considering one or the other, I would just get the NDAC (or another DAC of your choice - there are many alternatives out there.) Then add an ND5XS2 or whatever streaming transport takes your fancy later if you still feel the urge. In my experience that will be a much better value upgrade. Not that the quality of the digital transport doesn’t matter, especially when paired with older products like the NDAC, but the DAC is still the component that defines sound quality.

3 Likes

I don’t have a cd player to compare so I decided to rip a selection of cd’s on my laptop and then loaded them on a stick and tried that through the usb input on my Nd5xs2.
The file’s definitely sounded slightly different but it did vary a little from file to file, generally the hires streamed examples sounded better than the ripped files but generally it was the presentation that seemed different, so I wondered if some of the streams available were actually different recordings.
For me I think it’s worth trying to get the best from my streaming setup as I love the vast choice and instant access.
One question that has always bothered me is will the amount of traffic on the net have an impact on the streaming quality we get, similar to how the mains always seems cleaner in the late evening as more and more people go to bed and the demand on the grid gets much lower, just a thought.

2 Likes

I’ve recently done the exact same thing…
I moved from a NDX to a ND5XS2/ndac. I really like the much better integration for Roon.
The nDac is a fantastic piece of kit for the money. I now feel I’ve got a really first class digital source…
Really pleased with the SQ uplift too.

5 Likes

Yes you do!!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can compare everything at different pricepoints as long as the price is known. Saying you cannot do that makes absolutely no sense. And with the ideas flowing around that a streamer like tthe note cannot really be enhancedpost like this makes a lot of sense. The question is not if these are the same but if the price is worth paying, and like others I generally view the node as a good streamer. I had the same setup for a few y years and had the exact same feeling. The quality of the streamer does matter and a good cheap streamer can be enhanced for a cost.
Claus

1 Like

The new Node X is a dramatic step up over my original Node 2i. Is it a Naim streamer? Probably not, but I have not heard a Naim streamer …yet. That being said, Naim lovers and other audiophiles are missing an important point. The Bluesound Node is introducing and bringing many new people into the “quality” audio world. It brought me here and I just bought a new SN3 and Hicap DR…And love it! Who knows, next step new classic 200 or 300 series upgrades. Cheers!

13 Likes

I agree with this view.
There will be many people who want to get into streaming at a much lower price point than Naim Streamers to see how they get on with streaming and if suitably impressed with streaming will then upgrade and spend much more on better quality streamers/dacs.
I took this approach, I knew I wanted Tidal for the music concert individual songs and also music video’s and also wanted the Hi-Res which is MQA too, so started off with a NAD C658 and after a couple of years of being really impressed with streaming upgraded to a Lumin P1.

6 Likes

I think a much better streamer than the BlueSound Node is the Zen Stream.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that people dismiss the DAC in the ND5 XS2. After all, it’s the main part of the box. Would anyone with experience like to explain how the sound of a stand alone ND5 XS2 compares to an ND5 XS2 into a Naim DAC?

2 Likes

Signal traffic on the Internet will have no audible impact on sound quality in your HiFi.

Internet traffic is made of packets of data that will have no influence on each other that is relevant in this context.

Signal traffic on your home network could have an audible impact on sound quality in your Hifi, depending on the quantity and the routing of the Signals.

You can cut this down by having a relevant switch (e.g. a Cisco 2960) between your ISP router and your streamer.

1 Like

Thanks for the information JimDog that’s good to know, any specific Cisco switch?
As a first gland there seems to be a huge choice to select from .

Many forum members here use a Cisco Catalyst 2960.

These can be bought from auction sites for around £50.

We used them a few years ago before audio switches had been developed.

I use a Cisco then an EE8 switch into my streamer.

Audio switches range from EE8 way up to things like Innuous Phoenixnet and Ansuz.

There are lots of threads on this - an old thread called ‘switches and cables’ had thousands of posts on it.

There are even some crazy fools who do not believe audio switches could possibly alter SQ of a hifi system because it’s all just ones and zeros in the digital domain!

(But that’s a can of worms we do not need to open. :expressionless:)

3 Likes