ND5 XS 2.- WAV or FLAC

Yes it finds date/year if its on the www service, or user can add manually
But who actually browses by date ??? Not me for sure.

Absolutely.
The only thing I would like is to show my artist/albums chronologically (within the artist) - but no one does it anyway.
I do however like to see the album year displayed (which BubbleUPnP does). It also shows the genre, composer and comments/description.

The ID3v1 and ID3v1.1 standards which are the basis for tags, and have many extensions, define the field as Field year 4 digits consisting of A four-digit year

1 Like

I do when I learn about a historical period. Thatā€™s of course then the original release date, not the random CD reissue date.

In any case, I just pointed out that the OP should be sure that he does not need them before deciding not to tag years

If the metadata was accurate I might use dates, but the online lookups might have the original release date, the release date of the version it thinks you have, or some other meaningless date.
If Iā€™m browsing an artist I donā€™t know, Iā€™ll probably want to look over the original albums in the order they were released. Itā€™s usually easier to just look up the artist on Wikipedia.

2 Likes

Learned this the hard way. :sob:

By the way, with kind permission of the OP, and because we are speaking specifically of this kind of files: in recent times, my UQ2 ( sometimes) doesnā€™t recognize the Flac files. ( in general, all others ok, as I recall)

I only recovered the capability of read them , by making a complete restart, by switch the power button.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

My system (not UQ2) always finds the flac files, and any others. Basically (nearly) all my files are flac.
Where are your files stored?
Is it finding other files other than flac that are in the same place? That would be strange.
Are the ā€œNASā€ and UQ2 hard-wired or wi-fi? More stable if hard-wired.
Seems to be a UQ2 issue (or network) if it re-finds them after restart but that would be all files!

Thanks for the reply. All my files are stored on a 256gb usb3 pen. The files not read are exclusively flac and only happens randomly

To clarify when the problem manifests itself are you losing ā€œallā€ files? What files (if any) are you not losing?

As you are using a USB directly into the UQ2 it is a UQ2 issue not the network.
Cannot see a files limit in the UQ2 spec - some do have a highish limit.
How is the USB formatted?
(Naim spec - USB memory sticks must be in Windows/DOS format (FAT/FAT32)). I think I would use FAT32.
Do you ever remove the USB when the UQ2 is switched on? Might cause a problem.
Try a different USB.
You could try copying the files off, reformatting the USB and copying them back again.
Suggest you raise it with Naim support.

For now itā€™s not problematic because only raises once a while . The only thing that I came up is: is it problem of the pen? Because when a lose the capability to read, itā€™s exclusively flac. All others are readable. Go figureā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Oh: I use the same pen since 2016

I would try a new USB (as yours may fail at one point).
Also you do have a back-up of your USB files I hope.

I still cannot understand the logic of losing just the flac files - as they are just ā€œfilesā€.

1 Like

yes. me either. i probably switch pens. but for fail, it seams too selective. :confused:

Just Thought I would update with progress.
Thanks for all the advice and info. I downloaded full DB Poweramp and Asset software. After a bit of reading the instructions(!), Got it all working beautifully. Im using DBPA to rip to a desktop file where I check its all ok, Once Ive got a few albums ripped I drag and drop the contents to the music folder on the NAS. I then empty the Rips folder to another folder which I titled archive rips, which I can then download and store on a second SSD back up.
Im loving the use of it all via Roon. Done about 350 cds so far = about 100gb memory at moment.
I am really pleased and going to be great to get all those cds out of the way to make more room for vinyl.

Music storage calculator:

Good for you - its simple and seems much the best way to do it. And you end up with solid comprehensive metadata and not locked into proprietary storage arrangements. Also if you need to update any metadata (and in my experience you do) it is easy.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.